Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 08:46 PM

You can call a plumber at anytime but we can keep helping you. Closet backs up to the shower, you can cut an inspcetion hole in the wall and make it into a door for future plumbing issues, done all the time.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 9, 2009, 06:03 AM

Yellow, having no hot or cold in your shower is a bit perplexing, but you do have cold at the sink and toilet. No hot.

There could have have been some work (even a main in your neighborhood) and that may have created debris in your lines moving that debris up the lines and into your bathroom.

The shower has a valve with one handle to control the water supply to your shower. (you did not say you had a tub) There could be gunk in there as well. Check with your water utility and see if there was in fact work down like that in the area.

Did you notice anything about the water in that bathroom the previous day? Sputtering or weird water pressure - anything? You may not have, but that would help narrow the issue down if you did.

Nothing at the shower means that it could be gunk either in the shower line to the head. Must be a good amount of gunk. (sendiment) It could have traveled to your bathroom sink along your hot water supply and to your shower supply and your valve for you shower could have something clogging it too. You could start with this yourself, but I get the feeling you may be more comfortable with a plumber. Let us know.
    yellow99 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 10:16 AM

Cyber, our shower is a shower/bath combo with one control handle. We are having a plumber come out together. We do have some construction going on in our neighborhood so it might be that.

Im thinking there might be some build up in the pipes or valves.. but the night before I took a shower and there was nothing different. If there is a mineral build up or debris in the pipes, is there a gradual decrease in pressure or anything? Because our hot water not working was very sudden... from completely normal to not working at all, overnight.

I will keep you guys posted after the plumber comes out.
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Dec 9, 2009, 11:19 AM

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to pull the shower/tub mixing valve apart. I think it would be a matter of removing the handle (typically held on with a single nut - you will need an allen wrench I think) and then remove the 2 screws holfing on the decorative plate. Then, probably a few more screws to remove the guts of the valve. If you do attempt this, make sure you turn the water main off in your house and remove the pressure in the pipes by opening a valve lowest in your house and highest in your house. The water will run out the lowest valve until the pipes are empty. Probably won't get 100% of the water out, but will get most.

If there is gunk in there, I suspect you will see it. If not, you could have some close the open faucets in your house (the ones you opened when draining the lines) and then VERY SLOWLY turn the water back on. Water should come out the housing you just disassembled. Just make sure to have a way to catch it, or have someone who can turn the water off very quickly to avoid any water damage.

Good luck!

Dec 9, 2009, 11:58 AM

So a plumber came out to try and diagnose the problem. He isn't completely sure what it is. He said there is an exposed pipe on our 2nd floor balcony which is directly below our master bathroom and says that he thinks that there may be a frozen pipe on the exterior wall. He estimated that it'll cost a about $500-$600 to open up the wall (which is on our staircase) and try to find the issue.

He also said that we have the option to wait out the cold weather and hope that there aren't any broken or cracked pipes. Im not sure what the chances are that a pipe needs to be replaced but we are on an extremely tight budget. Do you guys recommend that we have the plumber open up the walls and try and find it?

Dmrlook, do you think there would be gunk right at the valve if both the tub/shower and sink both don't have hot water? I don't mind doing any detective work but I would assume it's in a pipe that leads to both the sink and tub, if it is a build up.

Dec 9, 2009, 02:42 PM

Possibly. Since it is both hot and cold at the shower, but only hot at the sink that it is not working, I am postulating that something got into your hot water line and made it to the mixing valve in the tub/shower, and hot side of the sink. Hot and cold lines split very early on, so it seems to me that the obstruction would be very close to the valves. Depending on your sink, it might be easier to pull the cartridge on the hot side (again, make sure the water is off to avoid a fountain) and see of that it gunked up. If so, I'd bet money the mixing valve is as well. If you are comfortable pulling stuff apart, I'd try whichever is easier. Just make sure you can get it back together :-)

A frozen pipe seems very unlikely to me, especially since you have not had one in years past. Plus, the likelihood of the hot water pipe freezing before the cold water one is not high.

Let us know what you find!

Dec 9, 2009, 04:02 PM

I will do this today when I get home. So if I pull up the cartridge, if there's gunk, it should be right there? How do I access the mixing valve to clean that out?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 04:20 PM

Im thinking the plumber is on to something with the frozen pipe. If pipe is exposed to outside temps, and the temp outside is lower than 32 degrees, then it is quite likely that the pipe has frozen. IF there is any portion of this pipe that you can see, you should be able to use a heat gun to thaw the pipe. Sometimes it takes a long time to get it thawed, but saves cutting into wall. I know it sounds strange, but hot water will actually freeze quicker than cold water. Fact. If its not a frozen pipe problem, then the above advice is dead on. Good luck and please let us know how things work out.

Dec 9, 2009, 04:54 PM

Hot water freezing quicker is call the Mphemba effect Can hot water freeze faster than cold water? Opposite of all logic but it is true. What is your outside temperature and why did he/you not apply heat to that exposed pipe? Many frozen pipes will not leak until they thaw.

Dec 9, 2009, 05:00 PM

Get the gunk out. Yes, the valve at the shower was addressed and at the sink. Then before you turn the water on let some of the water out of the valve below - just in case there is more gunk in the line. The valve at the shower will do that too.

Do what they mygirlsdad says about the hot pipe supply. Yes, she is right on about hot pipes freezing up.

Then, get that pipe (supply line) budgeted to be re-routed and installed properly - inside the house.

Yellow. It's good you can find the problem and do a little fixing on your end.

Dec 9, 2009, 06:37 PM

I apologize for being unclear. The pipe that the plumber thinks is frozen is actually no exposed. They think they've located the exterior wall where the frozen pipe might be. There isn't any noise and we definitely don't want to cut into the wall or anything. We will probably wait until the end of this week (it's suppose to warm up).. and see if things change.. if not, we will probably try looking for the gunk.

FYI, our bath/shower is periodically dripping water.. not constant but every once in a while.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post

Do what they mygirlsdad says about the hot pipe supply. Yes, she is right on about hot pipes freezing up.
    I get this quite often. I didn't think my screen name through enough.lol. It actually means " My girls' dad." Should have said father of my girls.lol. Any way, I am indeed a he, not a she. But if I have it my way, someday my girls will be the prettiest plumbers around. Well on second thought, I wouldn't wish that career path upon them. Lee.

Dec 9, 2009, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow99 View Post
    I will do this today when I get home. So if I pull up the cartridge, if there's gunk, it should be right there? How do I access the the mixing valve to clean that out?
    Take a look at my post #24 for how to get at the mixing valve. At least that it how I get a mine. I can not guarantee it is the same, but I expect it will be close.

And thanks folks for correcting me on hot water freezing faster than cold. It defies logic, but I'll trust you on it :). However in light of the last post, it still seems likely to me that this is not a freezing issue.

Dec 9, 2009, 06:53 PM

And I just thought you were MGD, Miller draft

Dec 9, 2009, 06:53 PM

Sorry Lee. I was apprehensive, perhaps it is just wishful thinking. No, most girls would not put up with a job such as plumbing when they are young adults, but perhaps they will file little things away for a more "practible" age.

Please accept my apologies Lee.

Dec 9, 2009, 06:56 PM
    Not hard to believe it's a freeze issue, but - I live in Minnesooota. Get's cold here, so I have seen a few. More "gunk" type stuff. Now, if you stick your tongue to the storm door, that will freeze.

Dec 9, 2009, 06:59 PM

It's a little early to see frozen pipes in most of the USA but its below zero out in the NW already and Chicago gets hit tomorrow (why do I live her, augh) With good building techniques I start to see frozen pipes when we hit 30 below, looking forward to winter not.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    and I just thought you were MGD, Miller draft
    That works. But I'm more of an old mill kind of guy. Maybe my name should have been " likes cheap beer". MGD is a little out of my price range.lol. Thanks ballengerb. But I'm betting you and the other pros here all thought I was a girly girl when I first appeared on the sight.lol. Damn that screen name.. ha.

Dec 9, 2009, 07:05 PM

Hey now, girly girls are okay.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
    Sorry Lee. I was apprehensive, perhaps it is just wishful thinking. No, most girls would not put up with a job such as plumbing when they are young adults, but perhaps they will file little things away for a more "practible" age.

Please accept my apologies Lee.
    No apologies needed. Like I said I get it all the time. Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My bathroom won't get hot water but the others will [ 1 Answers ]

My shower will only get hot water 'sometimes'. Sometimes I can't get the hot water to even get luke warm. The sink works great and so does the other shower in the other bathroom. It says Moen on the handle. Is it a problem with the hot water heater or the shower? Any ideas would be great! ...

Hot water running out [ 1 Answers ]

What is dcausing my hot water to run out after four or five minutes

No hot water in master bath;scortching hot everywhere else. [ 2 Answers ]

OK here is my dilema.. I just purchased a newly built home. We are the 1st owners and everything was brand new.. appliances, furnace boiler etc; I have scortching hot water everywhere but my master bath. I have 2 flrs and 2 full baths. Bathroom on 1st floor has hot water enough to fog up...

I can hear water running in my bathroom walll. What is the cause? [ 4 Answers ]

I can hear water running in my bathroomwall. What is the problem?

Hot water stopped running in bathroom faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Now I've been doing a little reading of similar problems in the blogs and suspect I have an airlock. Here's what's going on... While the water was running, in the hot position, it spontaneously stopped. The hot water is working in the shower and the kitchen -- the only other outlets. I have a...

View more questions Search