Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yellow99 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 12:38 PM
    No hot water running in bathroom
    This morning when I woke up, there was no water running from our bathroom sink or shower/tub. Our sink is a two handle faucet and our shower is a one handle tub. The cold water will run from the sink, but when we turn the hot water faucet, nothing comes out. With the shower, nothing comes out at all. There is hot water in all of our bathrooms and sinks and they are running as normal. Any advice would help. Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 01:52 PM

Both fixtures are getting their supply of hot water from the same line. Thius will be difficult to diagnose since there usually aren't any shut offs along the supply lines, are there? Try removing the tub mixing valve cartridge to see if you have debris clogging the line.

Dec 8, 2009, 02:27 PM

Thanks for your response. I don't see any shut off valves.. would this be something that you don't recommend a non professional to do?

Dec 8, 2009, 02:37 PM

Even if you fail to find a fix the more detective work you do now the lower your plumbing bill will be if you call a plumber. Is this on the first floor and is there ready access to the supply pipes below?

Dec 8, 2009, 03:57 PM

This is the 3rd floor.. master bath

Dec 8, 2009, 04:16 PM

By the way, my brother said that he thinks the pipes may have frozen? Is this a possibility? The temperature last night was in the teens.. and we just tried and it still isn't working. Right now it's about high 30s.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 8, 2009, 04:33 PM

Not sure only one area wood freeze yellow, and supply pipes are usually ran interior of the house.

You said this was on the third floor, and all other supply lines work every place else, right? The shower will not produce any water - hot or cold and the water from the sink - you can only get the cold to work. Right?

Do you have any water - even a stream coming out the shower at all?

Is there a reason your brother thought the pipes would freeze (need to ask).

Dec 8, 2009, 04:37 PM

Teens outside but what was your temp inside. When pipes freeze they usually leak like all heck when they thaw.

Dec 8, 2009, 04:41 PM

We are getting really cold temperatures here in seattle that we typically never have. That's the only reason why he would think that. The bathroom does face the exterior wall but the sink and tub do not. I keep the house fairly warm all day long. Maybe a pipe that's under the house? No idea. No water from the shower at all, and none from the hot knob from the sink but yes, every other water supply works.

Thanks for everyone's help so far

Dec 8, 2009, 04:47 PM

If you have a frozen water line inside your house because it was in the teens last night, you would have had frozen pipes before. You had a record setting low temp last night for December 7th but it was only 21 degrees. It will be colder tonight. You had temps of 19 and 14 in 2008, did the pipes freeze then?

Dec 8, 2009, 04:52 PM

Well I'm not even sure if it is frozen pipes. I'm trying to figure out what the best thing for me to do it. What might be the chances of a frozen pipe? We keep the temperature inside our home at 60 -70's always. If it isn't a frozen pipe, anything else I can do to see what else it may be?

Dec 8, 2009, 04:55 PM

Did your pipe freeze in 2008, in December? Reread my post #4 and try to answer.

Dec 8, 2009, 05:07 PM

Nope, I've never had issues with pipes before.

Dec 8, 2009, 05:08 PM

I am thinking we should not be thinking frozen pipes. How are you doing with those answers from post #4?

Dec 8, 2009, 05:18 PM

Sorry ballenger... this particular bathroom is on the 3rd floor. We do not have access to any supply pipes that I am aware of. I just searched the house and don't see any crawl space or anything.

Dec 8, 2009, 05:50 PM

Is the water pressure lower in the other parts of the house?

Also, please state what you have for a water heater system.

A plain water heater, or do have a boiler?

Dec 8, 2009, 05:51 PM

Nope, everything else is normal

Dec 8, 2009, 06:00 PM

Do you get water supply at the toilet?

Dec 8, 2009, 06:11 PM

You might find access panel in a closet behind the shower where the plumbing of the shower is - often, there is an access panel or smething similar. You should also have shut off valves under your sink.

For now, turn all on all fixtures lower then that bathroom - open. The go up and open both shower/sink. Listen and watch for any water.

If you cannot isolate the problem yourself, you need to call a plumber. Would like to help you if you can find anything.

Dec 8, 2009, 06:34 PM

Our master closet actually shares a wall with the shower and there isn't any access panel. The toilet does work.

SO probably just need to call a plumber?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My bathroom won't get hot water but the others will [ 1 Answers ]

My shower will only get hot water 'sometimes'. Sometimes I can't get the hot water to even get luke warm. The sink works great and so does the other shower in the other bathroom. It says Moen on the handle. Is it a problem with the hot water heater or the shower? Any ideas would be great! ...

Hot water running out [ 1 Answers ]

What is dcausing my hot water to run out after four or five minutes

No hot water in master bath;scortching hot everywhere else. [ 2 Answers ]

OK here is my dilema.. I just purchased a newly built home. We are the 1st owners and everything was brand new.. appliances, furnace boiler etc; I have scortching hot water everywhere but my master bath. I have 2 flrs and 2 full baths. Bathroom on 1st floor has hot water enough to fog up...

I can hear water running in my bathroom walll. What is the cause? [ 4 Answers ]

I can hear water running in my bathroomwall. What is the problem?

Hot water stopped running in bathroom faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Now I've been doing a little reading of similar problems in the blogs and suspect I have an airlock. Here's what's going on... While the water was running, in the hot position, it spontaneously stopped. The hot water is working in the shower and the kitchen -- the only other outlets. I have a...

View more questions Search