Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vecc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Smell from Shower Drain
    Hello,

I have a shower on the 2nd floor of my 30 year old house and I notice a sewage smell coming from the drain. :confused:

The shower has not been used in over 4 years because it has a crack in the liner (it is a fiberglass shower unit). I notice the smell when the washing machine which is on the first level of the house is in the draining/spin mode. The house has a septic system and this has been ongoing for quite some time now. :eek:

Please let me know what you think. Thank you very much for your help.

Ann Marie
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2006, 10:03 AM
    "The shower has not been used in over 4 years." This tells me the trap seal has evaporated and you now have a open connection between your house and the septic tank. For traps that are no longer in use I recommend filling the trap with motor oil. This will give you a seal that won't evaporate and will still serve as a seal. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fowl Smell From Shower Drain [ 6 Answers ]

I read a discussion on this forum that occurred in 2005. Several people noted they had sewer like smell coming from a single shower drain. Speedball1 had several suggestions regarding cleaning out hair or other biological material from the drain. Some of the questioners tried all the suggestions...

Gurgling in the shower drain and sewer smell [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into a 100 year old farm house about 8 months ago. The plumbing was replaced in the 80's. We are learning the ins and outs of the house. About 2 weeks ago we started hearing a gurgling sound in the shower drain in the upstairs bathroom when we flushed the toilet. Now we are smelling a...

Horrible smell from Shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

We moved into this house 5 weeks ago and have tried everything to combat this problem. Our upstairs bathroom shower stinks from high heaven after we've had a shower ie:after its had hot water running down the drain. The sink and bath drains in the same bathroom don't stink and neither does the...

Drain Smell [ 2 Answers ]

I Live In Queensland Australia & The home we are renting is only about 18 months old & has a bad smell in both bathrooms & the plumber just told us there is nothing he can do to fix the problem,Is this normal that the drains in new homes develop smells after a while?

Sewage smell on 2nd floor shower drain [ 12 Answers ]

I have a shower on the second floor that has a foul smell. I have tried to put everything recommended through the drain with no luck. Can you please give me some advise?

View more questions Search