Ask
    spacechallenged Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 09:53 AM
    Removing bathtub drain
    How do I remove a bathtub drain
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 09:56 AM

Is the space below the tub open or is there a finished ceiling? Is the a removable inspection door on the otyher side of the wall from the tub? Tell us why you need to remove the drain to give us a better perspective.
    spacechallenged Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 02:57 PM

Dry wall around the tub has been removed. The tub is being replaced by a shower. The drain needs to be removed and replaced by a new one, centred in the middle of the shower.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 8, 2009, 04:26 PM

Can you reach underneath? If the inside of your drain has a cross bars within it, you could use a plumbers tool that looks like a two pronged fork with a handle and try to turn it (I use the handle of my old pliers to do it at times). You can use another wrench on those handles if you need more leverage.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 04:35 PM

A dumbbell wrench like this one may be a bit more universal for your situation. Superior Tool at Lowe's: Tub Drain Removal Dumbell Wrench You have not answered my questions about access from below or behind. Is the tub cast, acrylic or what. Swanstone makes a shower pan made for fitting into an old tub design so you do not have to move the drain, interested?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 8, 2009, 06:06 PM
    And here's what everyone's talking about;
    A iub tool to fit the cross bars of a tub drain.
    A Swanstone shower pan to replace a tub and a drain assembly to help you out. Do you need more directions? Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I replace my chrome bathtub drain with my new bronze drain? [ 7 Answers ]

I just updated my bathtub/shower fixtures from chrome to oil rubbed bronze. The problem is the drain cover. I have what looks to be a simple kind where the drain plug screws into the drain hole. It's the chrome piece inside the tub that I want changed, the pipe itself drains fine. The...

Removing Old Bathtub/Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Ready to remove the tub. Does the nozzel that remains once the Faucet of the tub is removed 'unscrew' from the copper pipe or do I have to 'cut' around this nozzel?

Removing drain pipe under bathtub [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old pipe under my tub that I patched (reaching up from the basement after removing the ceiling) a couple years ago with epoxy. I am renovating my bathroom and have removed my tub and wanted to remove the old drain pipe that was patched and replace it with pvc. I can't budge the old pipe,...

Removing bathtub spout - no hole [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have read the Q/A's on the site, but can't find an answer to this one. First, I have a Delta faucet. It looks like Delta Faucet T13422-SOS on the www.deltafaucet.com website. (There are a few more that look like this, but it has the diverter plug on the spout.) The difference is that...

Removing a foot lock drain in a bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to remove a foot lock drain from my bathtub. I need to replace the washer/plunger but I can't figure out how to get the top off. I've tried unscrewing it but it feels like the entire assembly is turning. Thanks in advance for any help.

View more questions Search