Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

Dec 7, 2009, 04:35 PM
    Iron or alum.railings in limestone
    Hello, was wondering the average cost material and labor for drilling limestone tread/border on top.. it would be a straight run four feet on from pavement, I have three tread slabs (first tread will be drilled center top border is limestone for the top rail of three feet to siding. So I'll have a total of six holes to drill into 2" limestone.. I have never done this before but it seems easy once I get the centers from the siding.. alum needs a bigger masonry bit than if I were to go with rails iron smaller masonary bit.. anybody have any suggestions? As for costs and what is best to use? Note the house will be selling in a few years.. so I want to go the cheaper route.. I already looked at crap Lowe's had in stock and wouldn't dare using it on four ft off the ground . Thanks ahead, jon
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 8, 2009, 06:39 AM

Hi Jon. The aluminum ones get wiggly easier then the stiff iron railings in my experience. They seem to have more parts to come loose.

Drilling in lime stone can be a bit tricky. As in any stone or concrete, you do have a risk of break off, so be careful. Do a little research on that material, so you know what to expect.

I am assuming this is limestone is mortar set?

Are you doing this, or having an estimate? Labor cost is really up to the installer.
    If you are not doing it yourself, get estimates and know what materials you want. (each material or product can have a different install time) That pretty white aluminum that looks nice, would not be my suggestion - just because I know and have seen how long it lasts before it starts to come loose. The iron railings cost more in some instances, but it seems to hold longer.

You will need a top support for that railing too. Can you set the top railing with anchors to the side of the house as well as the step?

Dec 8, 2009, 08:13 AM

Yes cyber, I read that limestone is soft enough for regular mason bit.. wondering though this time of year drill into it in freezing temoertures.. this would be a job that was estimated for about 3k for material and installed.. it is the front step entry 1234th onto border limestoned perimeter in mortar(typical set of steps.. I want to do the least amount of drilling.. I'm going to an iron railing manufacturer today to get price quotes for a set (each side for front steps) I know not to use a hammer drill on limestone.. but is a diamond bit better for precautionary measures than the regular mason bit? Think this is what I'm "questioning" never done this before.. I know I will have to drill through the thickness of the slab tread 2 inches or so and I will be using two part putty epoxy to secure the railing and have it made so I can lag it to the siding at the top. Three important questions :1) Is the soft limestone more prone to cracking in freezing temps? 2) which drill bit is best for boring limestone? 3) what drill setting/drilling speed or technic is used to assure not to crack the stone? Thanks ahead jon.. ps I will charge a good rate of pay

Dec 8, 2009, 12:23 PM

I will tell you what I know, and stop there.

There are different limestones. The issue about limestones, and drilling is that you may hit a vien that is a weak spot in the stone. I do try to look for them on the exterior, but it is a natural stone and you cannot see everything. Try to center and drill as far as way from the edge that you can.

You can never guarantee that you will not have breakage. Specifiy that. Since you are only doing 3/4 steps, only drill where you absolutely have to and drill the hole large enough so that when you tighten the anchor, it won't put too much force on the stone. That will make it break, if not right away - later.

I think you stated that you will use the epoxy in that hole as well. YEP!

I do not know if the limestone will have a higher chance of breaking in the colder climate, I can only guess on that. I never had to do it, and again - I think it would depend on the limestone and how cold is cold.

You can use a masonary with a high carbon - just do not let it walk and use a straight angle only. Using a diamond core blade with water is accurate and at a slow speed with stopping between for more water works well. Right before you break through - do this one more time with water.

I would attach railing on building, at the top, and in the ground/base at the bottom of the steps, this means you probably only have to do one hole on the landing, before the 3 steps going down.

Hope this helped you. It is hard without seeing or knowing. You can do this, I am not trying to ward you off - only to be prepared. Make sure this client knows that you follow all proceedures and do it right, the stone can still break. Concrete can too.

Dec 8, 2009, 02:24 PM

Thanks for trying to help, meanwhile, what I did was called a local railing fabricator, they said to come down if and when ready with a sketch /measurements even a snapshot of the steps.. I might even have them do the job.. knowing this is not my forte, I wanted the job to keep busy but, it is likely better off letting the dealer install them if they can do better than my rate of install thanks for quick reply

Dec 8, 2009, 03:59 PM

Jon, hey - if they can come under you - you can retain a fee for the lead. Good luck

Dec 9, 2009, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
    Jon, hey - if they can come under you - you can retain a fee for the lead. Good luck
    Yes , I know.. funny, I drove over forty miles for that free estimate and even shopped for this friend. But, even though I tossed it away, I still chaulked it up for a positive experience , this was for a friend who is experiencing financial setbacks.. I think it in this sense, giving is receiving.happy holidays and thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just limestone [ 1 Answers ]

putting in a new hot tub it is 92"x92"x40" dry weight is 1290 lb it holds 440 gal and the 6 people .i used 2x12 pressure treated wood to frame my base pad and filled it level to the top of my form with 3/4 down limestone watered and packed solid so my base pad is 9'x9' and 12" thick my question is...

Can alum do the work of tootpast? [ 3 Answers ]

I am very lazy when it comes to brushing teeth and don't brush my teeth daily at night and have many fillings in molars. I don't want plaque to be created or any other kind of tooth decay. Can anyone please tell me if I make a mixture of alum i.e. dissolve alum in water and just do mouth gargles...

Custom shower railings [ 1 Answers ]

I'm building a custom shower in my summer cottage. I can't find the brass or chrome railings to finish off the shower. The ones that go along the top and front sides of the shower walls. Where can I find these?

Paint removal from limestone [ 5 Answers ]

I have been removing paint from stone window sills. The house was built in 1938 and there are multiple layers of paint. Some may be oil based. I started with the removal cream that is covered with paper and stays on the surface over night. After removal of this substance, I apply liquid paint...

Limestone / Lime [ 2 Answers ]

Is lime fertilizer crushed limestone? Or is it something else?

View more questions Search