Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bfraser4070 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Heating Options for cottage/bunk house
    Help!

Ok we are building a garage with a loft which has 806 sq ft of living area. The unit will be used mostly during the summer but some fall and early spring use and some holidays in the winter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. Additional appliances include range, water heater & dryer. We are comparing the costs of some options as follows:

1. Natural Gas furnace and appliances - Furnace costs about $5,800 including about $600 in gas line installation charges. This is installed by a contractor.
    2. Electric Silicon filled base board which costs about $1,600 for materials/thermostats, etc. which I could install(I am Fairly handy).

Does anybody know of additional options? Is it worth the extra $4,200 to get natural gas for the heat and appliances. What would be the payback?

Comments needed and welcome
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 01:17 PM
    For such limited usage I would go electric and forget the silicone models. They do not save ANY energy since all electric heat is 100% efficient to start with. Now I made this statement figuring you would not be heating this section all winter and you would be draining the water lines and winterizing all appliances that use water with the pink stuff antifreeze.

Now if you plan on heating this unit all winter then you will need to do some calculations for the gas heat to see what the pay back period would be.

Use a manual J calculation for your heating and A/C calculations for unit sizes. No reason to install more than you actually need. It is very accurate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New house tub options [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all. I am building a new house and having trouble deciding on tub options. One bath needs a tub/shower combo. Any thoughts on options (tub with tile, one piece unit, tub with added walls, etc) would be greatly appreciated. I will be doing the installation myself. I'm reasonably handy if I...

What are the options to get a defiant minor out of the house? [ 16 Answers ]

Sad topic for my first post, huh? I'm at the end of my rope with my 14 yr. old son. Last November, he used the f-word while speaking to/at me. I wrote him a letter, telling him if he cursed at me again, his cell phone privilege would be revoked for a minimum of two weeks. Early Dec 2007,...

Heating options [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Cape Cod house in the Northeast that I have just dormered out the Second floor with cathedral ceilings. I have an oil forced air Furnace/central air and there are currently two supply and two return ducts Going to the second floor. There is one zone in the entire house that Controls...

Need Options-Michigan house worth $30,000 less than owed [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé owns a home that is worth approx $30,000 less than he owes on it, and it is in need of some major repairs such as a new roof and some electrical and cement work. We are getting married in 7 months and the home is currently too small for us to live in. I rent an apartment on a month to...

Options when selling house with net loss? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All - We just received an offer for our home which will result in a net loss of 40K out of our pockets. My husband and I are getting divorced, I want to move closer to my work, I can't afford the house much longer, and I just want out. Our neighbors who own the Same house turned down two...

View more questions Search