Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2013, 07:58 PM
    Do you have a filter or softener on your system? If so, turn the bypass valve and see if your problem improves.
    JSmith856 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2013, 06:06 PM
    I am perplexed. I can't get the pressure up. Here is what happened/
    11 Year Old Home
    Submersible Well Pump
    WellXTrol Pressure Tank
    760 Logix Amtrol Softner/Brine Tank
    Square D 40/60 Pressure Switch

I let the well brine tank run dry and we had the water cut off. I believe it may have clogged. So I put salt crystals back into the tank and back flushed it. The old 440 Amtrol controller camshaft broke and it wasn't back flushing, so I replaced it with a 760 Logix controller/timer. I then had 24 PSI which is the same water coming off the well. I have tried bypassing the softener and it's the same 24 PSI results.
    So, I used emery cloth on the contacts of the pressure switch - no change.
    I replaced the pressure switch and pressure gauge - no change.
    I emptied the tank, opened up a faucet at the highest/furthest from the softener, pressure tested the WellXTrol - it was at 12 PSI, so I put it at 38 PSI - 2 PSI less then my cut off pressure point - no change.

I can only get 24 PSI on a good day and my well runs constantly. No matter what setting I make it on the square-d pressure controller, it stays on and runs my well. I'm stumped as to why and how I can increase my pressure.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2013, 06:21 PM
    Pump is running but pressure will not get to the 60# cut off pressure point. Sure sounds like the pump is going bad OR your wellpipe is leaking bigtime. More likely it's the pump. 11 years on a pump, especially one which is used frequently, can be a lot. How far down is it? What kind of pipe is the wellpipe?
    roughneck2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2016, 02:51 PM
    Hello sir my question is as follows I have a 30/50 switch the gauge is showing a little over 20psi it is on a well .will your direction still apply in the number of turns on the small screw to increase the pressure
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2016, 07:38 AM
    Your pump should be cutting on at 30 psi and off at 50. If the gauge is showing 20, then either the gauge is defective, something is wrong with the system, or the switch should be adjusted up, though that seems unlikely. I'd check the gauge first by using a tire gauge at the air valve which is probably located at top of the tank. If it reads significantly different from the gauge, then step one is to replace the gauge. If the gauge is accurate, then the question becomes how did pressure drop below 30. I am assuming it does this consistently. If that is the case, then You can certainly try turning the large nut clockwise several turns (with power off). Turn power back on and see if that helped. Be aware that the small nut ONLY adjusts cut off pressure. I'll link this video for you.

One question. Does your switch have a reset lever on the side?

how to adjust water well pressure switch - Bing video

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

How to increase water flow when multiple fixtures running? [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Ask Me, I want to increase water flow when multiple fixtures are running. We have a 2900 sq foot two level L-shaped rancher built in 1963 in Atlanta. For our family of four, the water pressure is fine. When someone is taking a shower there is a noticeable drop in pressure and volume when...

View more questions Search