Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smdk Posts: 73, Reputation: 2

Dec 7, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Why does coke blow up?
    When you put mentos in a bottle of coca-cola it blows up why does this happen?what if I drink coca-cola then eat mentos will it blow up in my stomach?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 09:27 AM

Here is what Mythbusters has to say " In a 2006 episode of MythBusters, a popular television program on the Discovery Channel,[7] the MythBusters concluded that the caffeine, potassium benzoate, aspartame, and CO2 gas contained in the Diet Coke and the gelatin and gum arabic ingredients of the Mentos all contribute to the jet effect.[8] In addition, the MythBusters theorized that the physical structure of the Mentos is the most significant cause of the eruption due to nucleation. When flavored Mentos with a smooth waxy coating were tested in carbonated drink, the reaction occurs only mildly, whereas standard Mentos added to carbonated drink formed an energetic eruption, by their claim, affirming the nucleation-site theory. According to the MythBusters, the surface of the mint Mentos is littered with many small holes, allowing CO2 bubbles to form very rapidly and in great quantity, in turn causing the jet of foam. This was further supported when rock salt was used as an effective substitute for Mentos.[8] It is not an explosion but a rapid release of the carbon dioxide in the coke, diet coke works best.

A paper by Tonya Coffey, a physicist at Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina goes into detail on the reasons and physics behind the reaction.[9][10]"
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 09:27 AM

Why don't you try it and find out if it does.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 09:29 AM

Not a good idea to swallow Mentos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKoB0MHVBvM
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 09:30 AM

He said eat mentos... Not swallow whole.

Dec 7, 2009, 10:12 AM

OK what will happen if I splatter coke on a flat surface and throw a mentos over it?and sorry I don't want to waste money hence I cannot try...
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 12:44 PM

What 3 dollars or 4. The only way to find out is to experiment and do it on your own instead of getting others to answer questions for you that you need to figure out on your own.

Dec 7, 2009, 11:26 PM

OK I will try it but isn't it risky?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 12:03 AM

Always better safe than sorry. I'd get a pair of safety goggles like those ones they used to make us wear in science classes when we had the chemicals and stuff out.. my cousin got me a cheap pair at the hardwood store. I think they were just a few dollars

Dec 8, 2009, 12:12 AM

Lol... I was thinking about filling a can with coke throwing mentos in it from above and videotapeing it ill... hmm guess you are rit my friend has I pair of swimming goggles they will do fine I guess :p
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 12:12 AM
    Dollar store...
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2009, 09:07 AM

YouTube - Diet Coke+Mentos=Human experiment: EXTREME GRAPHIC CONTENT

Be careful if you want to eat them or swallow them.

I imagine once the coke is out of carbonation, its reaction is complete. Thus, drinking it or dumping it on the floor would not result as impressive as straight out of the bottle...

But who knows, give it a try.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2009, 09:07 AM
    BTW

It says Extreme Graphic Content, It lied, nothing to fear there.

Dec 9, 2009, 09:58 AM

No blood?sorry videos don't play on wap conn. :( by the way can I use swimming goggles?instead of safety goggles...
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2009, 10:25 AM

No blood, yes swimming goggles should suffice. Just be careful if you plan on leaving the cap on. It could go off like a gun.
    cats472 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2011, 05:25 AM
    The mentos makes the carbon dioxide to come out rabidly so it explodes! :) SO COOL!
    cats472 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2011, 05:26 AM
    I'm not comlpetely schure but I think you need to eat them at the same time
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 4, 2011, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cats472 View Post
    im not comlpetely schure but i think you need to eat them at the same time
    I'm sorry, but this is just not right. Several people got problems because they ate mentos and drank coke at the same time and ended up in hospitals. EATING THEM AT THE SAME TIME IS NOT SAFE :mad:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coke Concentrations! [ 1 Answers ]

In a diluted solution of coke(1.00mL of regular coke and diluted to the mark of a 25.00mL flask), the concentration of phosphate is 5.13 x 10^-5 mols/L. What is the concentration of phosphate in an original coke? What is the concentration of phosphoric acid in an original coke?

Coke versus diet Coke in the gas tank [ 1 Answers ]

Depending on the source, some say that sugar in a gas tank will not cause any engine problems. Others say you'll need to replace the engine. That is quite a difference of opinion. I guess a why would be in order! Apparently since sugar will not dissolve in gas, the sugar will simply plug up the...

Coke vs pepsi [ 2 Answers ]

Why coke better then pepsi? Is he better in positioning? And if yes in what way?

My best friend does coke [ 13 Answers ]

Well my best friend does coke and every time she does it she insists on telling me. The guy she does it with is now locked up, and every time I talk to her she is always talking about him how do I tell her I do not care about him or her coke addiction with out being mean?

Coke [ 2 Answers ]

Need to know some prices on Coke collectables. Some are glasses, bears, bottles. Glassart

View more questions Search