Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackie-in-flatrock Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 06:14 AM
    How can I reverse the opening of my storm door
    I bought an old house with a 35" aluminum storm door on the front. It is mounted with the handle opposite the inner door handle. The door is in need of a replacement window, but otherwise, in good condition. I'd like to reverse the opening, to match the inner door and make the door bell and light on the correct side. This is an older door, I have no instructions. I know many newer doors can we switched on installation - is there a way to change this one? I appreciate any tips.
    Jackie
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 7, 2009, 08:08 AM

You might be able to. First, make sure to check that if you place that storm door handle on the other side, that it doesn't hit the inner door handle. Even though Storm handles may be in a higher position, the type of hardware used on the main door may cause in issue with that.

Open your storm door and check to see on the side that opens out to see if there are places to insert, or screw in the hinges. The locations will be just across from where they are now. The door handle, if it will not interfere with the main door hardware, can be moved, but ou will have a hole in the door on the other side if you do move it. You will need to cover this hole, and there are plates that can be used.

The doorbell is another issue. That would take some determination of finding were the doorbell wiring is coming from. Find that out, and let us know.

Before planning anything, check out the door, and hardware of the main door first, as stated above.

Dec 7, 2009, 05:43 PM

I was unclear - the doorbell and light are on the correct side - I just need to reverse the storm door to match the rest. These are some good points to check - I'll do that and let you know how it turns out! Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 06:06 PM

It would be a big surprise to me if you could reverse the storm door. The jamb hinges are on the wrong side so you would have to remove and patch the old hinge and make a new hinge mount, not easy because I am betting you have an aluminium frame. If you flip the door left to right in old inside will be your new outside and the hinge on the door will be swinging in instead of out so it would have to be remounted. Let us know what happens if you try this.

Dec 8, 2009, 06:34 AM

Jackie, Ballanger is adding on to what else should be considered. If the door is really old, it may not be worth the work.

The latch location, The frame of the storm door, etc. Unless you have installed doors before, this task may drive you a bit batty.

I see you are posting on more improvement projects. Not my business, but almost feel like you either just bought a home, or you are getting ready to sell it.

If you are going to stay in this home, the door will bother you - it seems. So, you may want to start fresh with this storm door. You can get a decent one for a reasonable cost. If you are not going to stay in this house, fix the glass and be done with it. As long as everything is in good repair, don't spend the time trying to reverse the door.

My opinion only, but experience dictates.

Dec 8, 2009, 06:38 PM

You're so right - we bought a fixer-upper. Our son was one of the people caught in the upside-down mortgage fiasco, so we are trying to get this older home with good bones ready for him. It's been a rough year for a lot of people - we're fortunate we're able to help, but we need to do a lot ourselves to manage it. It would be so much harder without helpful people like you! I love this site and truly appreciate the help. This house sat empty for over a year so there isn't anything that doesn't need to be done - many things we haven't tackled before. The door is, as you say, bothersome to me. But I think I will take your advice and leave it alone! I'll get used to it eventually!
    Thanks again!
    Jackie
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 08:51 PM

Jackie, sounds like you will be back later for other projects, that's great. We are always here.

Bob

Dec 9, 2009, 07:51 AM

I have to help a lot of people when selling their home, and NOW purchasing a home that has sat empty. I am glad you were able to find a home for your son. It's terrible to go through all of that.

You are most welcome here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extending the length of storm door [ 2 Answers ]

I have a storm door that has about a 2 inch gap at the bottom. The installers put a piece on the bottom of the screen door that is sort of U shaped and screws onto the bottom of the door to fill in the gap. However, that piece is not broken and I would like to get a replacement piece. However, I...

I put electrical lights on my wreath on my front storm door [ 1 Answers ]

The door is metal and I was told that the rain would electrify the door. I have it plugged into the outdoor grounded outlet. Is this safe?

Tenant wants to remove storm door if deposit not returned. [ 5 Answers ]

My tenant replaced a storm door on my house that she was renting. She vacated yesterday without giving proper notice and informed me that if she gets her deposit back, she will leave the door. If not, she will come back and take the door with her. Considering the condition she left the house in,...

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

Millikin Door Kit needed in order to install storm door [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have a Milliken (may be mis-spelled) exterior door with two side light panels on both sides. I have purchased a Larson Storm Door for the front door. There is not enough depth between the two doors when measuring them - therefore I need to build the front door frame out. I need to know...

View more questions Search