Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackie-in-flatrock Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 05:03 AM
    vinyl self-adhesive tile corners not sticking - is there a sealer on the market?
    I covered a poorly laid vinyl tile flooring in a small bathroom with a new layer of tile. Same 12 x 12 size, self-adhesive tiles - I offset the location of seams and worked out from the center, followed the directions. Some of the tiles are not adhering completely - corners are lifting, there is obvious movement at the edges of some of the tiles. How can I fix this? The flooring looks very good - I'd hate to waste all that time and money! Is there a sealer for seams on the market? I'd appreciate any help!
    jackie
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 7, 2009, 08:25 AM

Vinyl tile that is not prepped, or cleaned well will do this. Also, the finish on the old vinyl may have been to glossy for the adhesive to stick properly. A sealer won't solve your problem because you have movement underneath. If you try and seal it with something, then you will have sealant problems.

I think your best option here is to take it off, and clean off the old floor.
    If it's abestos tile, don't try to sand it. You option then would be to install something over that that the self sticking tile will bond to. That would include using a primer for substrate.

Sorry to give you more work! Prep is everything.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 08:37 AM

Lift the loose tiles, clean the floor beneath them and then spread tile adhesive with a notched trowel specified on the adhesive can. You may or may not be able to reuse the tile depending on how well they come off. If you want to cut a corner you could try a heat gun on the old floor and the under side of the new tile, they will adhere better but maybe not good enough.

Dec 7, 2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks, cyberheater and ballengerb1. I wish I'd asked first - lesson learned!
    Jackie

Dec 7, 2009, 05:44 PM

Self stick tiles can be a pain. I have done many replacement floors for folks who had done self stick. I think they should change the name to Kind of Sticky Tiles. Thanks for the rating
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 8, 2009, 06:13 AM

I agree Ballanger - you do this kind of work enough, you come up with new names. Nothing is ever as easy as they want you to think.

Jackie, I have actually had to use an adhesive too at times. I had someone want this type of application of a glossy finish, and even though it had a "bumpy" texture to it, I explain they would slide and move. They were about 5 years old, so I lightly sanded them to help with the bond and made them sign off on the installation warranty.

There is a new product that is almost like vinyl tiles, except they float, and only stick to each other. No sticky bottom. This product is a bit more expenisve, but it looks really nice.

You put you wall trim, or shoe down afterward. The only problem I see with it is that it can be a little awkward at the area's you stick together. Let me know if you decide to redo this and I will point you to the product.

Dec 8, 2009, 08:28 AM

You may be thinking of Trafficmaster Allure tiles, it comes as a plank too.

Dec 8, 2009, 06:51 PM

I believe I saw this product at one of the big box stores yesterday! It was available in what looked like a hardwood laminate or stone. It looked very nice on the display - what do you think of it? I have another room with a less-than-even surface, it would sure look good in there!

Dec 8, 2009, 08:50 PM

I don't know for sure if it propritory but I have never seen it anywhere but Home Depot. It is good stuff, I will be installing in my own basement this winter. Trafficmaster Allure tiles - Google Product Search

Dec 19, 2009, 07:42 AM

We were not able to pry up the tiles without destroying them, so we tried letting them rest. Turned up the heat in the house overnight a little warmer than we usually leave it, weighted the problem areas, and let it set. It's a small bathroom, and it seems to have done the trick for us. If it doesn't last, we will pull the fixtures back up and try the Trafficmaster product - but I'll be looking for info on that from ballengerb1 after that basement is done, too!
    Thanks, everyone!

Dec 19, 2009, 08:10 AM

We were not able to pry up the tiles without destroying them, so we tried letting them rest. Turned up the heat in the house overnight a little warmer than we usually leave it, weighted the problem areas, and let it set. It's a small bathroom, and it seems to have done the trick for us. If it doesn't last, we will pull the fixtures back up and try the Trafficmaster product - but I'll be looking for info on that from ballengerb1 after that basement is done, too!
    Thanks, everyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

Adhesive for tile over sheet vinyl [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between mastic and thinset adhesive and which should be used when installing ceramic tile over sheet vinyl floorcovering?

Ceramic tile over self adhesive vinyl tile work? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom with self-adhesive vinyl tile on the floor. Can I put ceramic tile over this vinyl tile?

Sealer and Adhesive Remover [ 2 Answers ]

We've lived in our 1965 home for 20 years and recently discovered that terrazzo was beneath some lenolium floor covering in the hallway and baths. We wish to return to the original terrazzo covering but expect that there will be dried glue left on the terrazzo when we remove the lenolium. Someone...

View more questions Search