Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rebekahj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 12:22 AM
    Burglar alarm humming noise
    The box for my burglar alarm makes a constant humming noise. This is the main system box not keypad. It is a bosch alarm and is wired into the house so I can't turn it off unless I turn the mains power off. It has wireless sensors which receive signal from antennae on the box. The box is in my bedroom so the humming is driving me crazy at night. Is it normal for alarms to hum?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2009, 05:31 AM

Is the humming new, or did it always do it? Most likely the noise is from a transformer that steps down your house mains voltage to something lower (like 12 or 24 volts). Transformers can hum, but some more than others. If your unit is new, I'd argue for a replacement. If it is not new, then you might try to replace the step-down transformer. If you do this, I'd make sure it is of the proper capacity for your system, as an overloaded transformer will certainly hum.

Best of luck,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burglar Alarm Problems--Dsc Programming Problems? [ 17 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with security system problems? Hello everyone! I installed a PC5010 security system with 2 led 5508z keypads, and 4 motion detectors (zone 1-4). I closed zones 5-8 with 4 jumpers. That's it. Nothing else on the system. Upon power up I have trouble light lit and lights...

Humming noise [ 9 Answers ]

Need help! I hear humming noises when I turn on any 2 or more faucets (toilet flush with turning on faucet or a kitchen faucet along with an upstairs faucet). Only one faucet or one toilet flush no humming noise will occur (only happens when on together). I've shut off the main drained all water...

Humming noise [ 1 Answers ]

I hear a humming noise coming from my attic. It does not seem connected to the AC unit or Water Heater. The noise comes and goes often without any specific pattern

View more questions Search