Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2009, 05:12 PM
    Gas oven doesn't come on
    The oven to my GE XL44 Gas Range, Model No. JGBC20GEV1AD, does not light. All top burners work perfectly. Is the cause a bad oven/broiler ignitor, as I suspect? I can't see the ignitor glow at all, when I turn the control knob on. Is the ignitor bad, if it draws less than 2.5 amps? Using a Fluke 322 Clamp Meter, it draws 0.0 amps and 0.0 volts, when I set the oven to 350 degrees F, which must indicate it burned out (infinite resistance).
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2009, 08:39 PM

Ok, here is your oven parts breakdown:

GE | Model #JGBC20GEV1AD | 95 GE GAS RANGE | BURNER ASSEMBLY | SearsPartsDirect.com

The p/n is Call for availability on the Sears site. They don't have the best prices anyway.

I think this is the replacement:

Part Details - GE Oven or broiler igniter, round style, part number: AP2014008

Your half way there, no glow, no current.

See if you can measure the voltage to the igniter and/or the resistance.

Check the instructions to see if it's possible to light the oven with a match.

Usually it has to glow for a while before the oven ignites. You may have some experience for what that time is.

Anyway, I'd start with the resistance of the igniter.

There's no wiring diagram on the Sears site. There may be one on the oven.

The appliance questions get overlooked.
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2009, 08:58 PM

I ordered a new oven glow ignitor (Whirlpool No. 4342528, $24.95) from eBay. Thanks.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 11:39 AM

With both wires removed, the oven gas valve tested fine at 1.6 ohms.
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2009, 03:55 PM

Whereas the old ignitor's resistance was infinite (burned out), the new ignitor's resistance is 228.8 ohms. After installing the new ignitor, the oven works great.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2009, 04:56 PM

Good job. eBay to the rescue. They usually ship fast too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Primer bulb not pumping gas on echo gas trimmer [ 1 Answers ]

I cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel filter and primer bulb. The bulb will not send gas to the carb. What else do I need to do?

Amana Gas range/oven [ 0 Answers ]

We purchased an Amana gas oven/range about 4 years ago. For the last couple of weeks, it emits a smell when it's used... the smell is kind of like coleman fuel/white gas being burned. Any thoughts on this?

Oven does not work on gas range [ 1 Answers ]

My oven on my gas range has quit working along with the self cleaner. It does not ignite nor do I smell gas,when I use it on bake or self clean, ( before any time I would bake I would always smell gas when first turning on). On the other hand the broiler works just fine. It is not a bottom drawer...

Gas oven smells of gas [ 1 Answers ]

I have used gas ovens before but I don't remember them smelling as strongly of gas as the one I have now. It doesn't smell like gas when it is off but when I have the oven on it smells pretty strong for most of the time that it is on. Is this normal or is replacement needed soon?

Temperature control in a gas-fired oven [ 4 Answers ]

I wish to find out a workable means for controlling the temperature at different times inside the drying chamber of a gas fired oven.I have thought about using a solenoid operated valve connnected to two thermostats.But I am not really sure how this will work

View more questions Search