Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pete54 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2009, 10:16 AM
    Plumbing help
    Could anyone help I have just changed the element on my immersion tank after refilling my header tank I have opened the taps to run the water but none is coming ou any suggestions on what I can do
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 5, 2009, 12:26 PM

Hi Pete,

Did you happen to drain your header tank completely then refill? You may have an air lock. Give us details

Dec 5, 2009, 12:44 PM

Hi thanks for your help yes I did drain the tank I think it might be an airlock but I don't know how to sort it any suggestions would be great my missus wants a bath!!

Dec 5, 2009, 02:25 PM

Hi Pete, sorry - busy today.

Okay, what type of system do you have for a boiler/hot water?

Does your header tank have a draining valve on it? Please explain what you have. How much did you fill your tank, etc.

First, make sure you have you supply valve on.

I have waited Pete, but have to go. Maybe someone else can help you. There are a couple of ways to do this, but I hate giving any advice with out know more detail. Where are you located.

Dec 6, 2009, 02:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
    Hi Pete, sorry - busy today.

okay, what type of system do you have for a boiler/hot water?

Does your header tank have a draining valve on it? Please explain what you have. How much did you fill your tank, etc.

First, make sure you have you supply valve on.

I have waited Pete, but have to go. Maybe someone else can help you. There are a couple of ways to do this, but I hate giving any advice with out know more detail. Where are you located.
    Hi sorry I am in the uk my header doesn't have a drain valve the tank is regulated with a ballcock then there is a cold water pipe running to the tank which heats upthe water just a bog standard immersion tank and the valve is open any help would be greatly appreciated

Dec 6, 2009, 10:20 AM

Okay Pete

First, I have to know if this is supply for whole house and not just a bathroom. (save time)

You stated you were not getting water from "taps", does mean both cold and hot - or just hot? Important.

Speeding this up.

If you have cold water, but not hot you can use your connection at the washing machine if they are the main supply. Using the clothes washer, which already has hoses and most likely be on the main supply will work pretty well. You will want to turn off the water there and disconnect them from the washer. Use the cold water hose and connect it to the hot water (hose off that first) and open the cold valve first - then the hot. Do this for at least half a minute, turn off the cold then hot and try again.

The idea is to push the air out of the pipes up through the header tank where it can bubble out. There is another way, but if you have a washer, you might get the best result there. You can also try this at the sink in another way as well.

If could also try something at the kitchen tap/faucet as well if you do have cold water, but no hot.

Dec 6, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Speeding this up.

If you have cold water, but not hot you can use your connection at the washing machine if they are the main supply. Using the clothes washer, which already has hoses and most likely be on the main supply will work pretty well. You will want to turn off the water there and disconnect them from the washer. Use the cold water hose and connect it to the hot water (hose off that first) and open the cold valve first - then the hot. Do this for at least half a minute, turn off the cold then hot and try again.

The idea is to push the air out of the pipes up thru the header tank where it can bubble out. There is another way, but if you have a washer, you might get the best result there. You can also try this at the sink in another way as well.

If could also try something at the kitchen tap/faucet as well if you do have cold water, but no hot.
    Hi thanks it is awkward to disconnect the washing machine at this time what is the other way by the way the immersion tank is full and the water heats up so everything is working except still no water

Dec 6, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Speeding this up.

The idea is to push the air out of the pipes up thru the header tank where it can bubble out. There is another way, but if you have a washer, you might get the best result there. You can also try this at the sink in another way as well.

sorry I have cold water and also the hot supplies the whole house also I don't have central heating [radiators]

Dec 6, 2009, 02:48 PM

Good, you have cold water.

Go to the kitchen faucet.(tap) Hold you're the palm of your hand or thumb tightly over the tap outlet where the water comes out. Turn on the hot first, then the cold and do not let the water come through the tap. Do this for about 20 to 30 seconds. If you have a single handle for the faucet, the same applies - hot first, then cold.

You are forcing the air back and trying to allow for the water to break the air lock. If this doesn't work, we need to try something else.

Let us know how this works for you. Bloody air lock!

Dec 6, 2009, 02:59 PM

Go to the kitchen faucet.(tap) Hold your the palm of your hand or thumb tightly over the tap outlet where the water comes out. turn on the hot first, then the cold and do not let the water come thru the tap. Do this for about 20 to 30 seconds. If you have a single handle for the faucet, the same applies - hot first, then cold.

You are forcing the air back and trying to allow for the water to break the air lock. If this doesn't work, we need to try something else.

Hi mate no problem in holding the hot water back but the pressure on the cold tap is too strong :(

Dec 6, 2009, 03:31 PM

Then we may have to go to the washer method. Two hoses connected to the washer have to connections to the supply line. The hose will be strong enough.

You turn off those valves, then disconnect them from the washer. Disconnect the hose from the hot supply line and reconnect the cold to the hot at the supply. You don't need much time really.

Do it once for about 20-30 seconds, then turn it off, then do it again.

If you want to try to kitchen tap again, try taking off the aerator.

Sorry, but you need to find a way to get the airlock out.

Dec 6, 2009, 03:42 PM
    Then we may have to go to the washer method. Two hoses connected to the washer have to connections to the supply line. The hose will be strong enough.

You turn off those valves, then disconnect them from the washer. Disconnect the hose from the hot supply line and reconnect the cold to the hot at the supply. You don't need much time really.

Do it once for about 20-30 seconds, then turn it off, then do it again.

If you want to try to kitchen tap again, try taking off the aerator.

Sorry, but you need to find a way to get the airlock out.
    OK mate I will do the washer method but I can't do it until the morning [uk time] washing school uniforms and the like I will let you know how I get on I really appreciate your help. Thanks pete

Dec 6, 2009, 03:55 PM

Pete, get someone to help you. When you do this, have someone stand near the header tank to see if they hear bubbles or gurgling. (and to make sure to yell for you if it starts to over flow.

Also, try at kitchen faucet using a washcloth. Get it a little wet and stick it in the faucet outlet well and hold it. If you have help, use it at the tank as I described. Good luck!

Dec 6, 2009, 04:19 PM
    Pete, get someone to help you. When you do this, have someone stand near the header tank to see if they hear bubbles or gurgling. (and to make sure to yell for you if it starts to over flow.

Also, try at kitchen faucet using a washcloth. Get it a little wet and stick it in the faucet outlet well and hold it. If you have help, use it at the tank as I described. Good luck!
    OK will do I'll let you know how I get on once again thanks for your help

Dec 7, 2009, 01:07 PM

Go to the kitchen faucet.(tap) Hold your the palm of your hand or thumb tightly over the tap outlet where the water comes out. turn on the hot first, then the cold and do not let the water come thru the tap. Do this for about 20 to 30 seconds. If you have a single handle for the faucet, the same applies - hot first, then cold.

Hi cyberheater what a top man I flushed the cold through the hot pipe and it worked perfectly once again thanks for your help :D

Dec 7, 2009, 01:17 PM

Good Man at that! I suppose everyone else is happy too.

You are most welcome, by the way. Honored to help.

Dec 8, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Good Man at that! I suppose everyone else is happy too.

You are most welcome, btw. Honored to help.
    The wife has gone to heaven in a sea of bubbles, all the best happy xmas to you and yours

Dec 8, 2009, 12:30 PM

Right back to you Pete!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ppr plumbing vs cpvc plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

Ppr OR cpvc which one is better for residential plumbing

Correctional grade plumbing how different from commercial plumbing or residential [ 3 Answers ]

Just need a little information about the difference to answer a questioner .

Plumbing [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I replaced the toilet wax bowl and secured the toilet. After a few flushes I still have a smell form the shower drain. Can you tell me what I could do next. I guess it's a process of elimination. I will try anything. I spoke to someone and they told me it could be that my trap is not holding...

Plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

How far down is drain past p trap on bathtub already down 8inches past concrete slab no bottom still in sight?

View more questions Search