Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Elevator Illumination Disconnect
    Having trouble locating the code for the Type of disconnect for Elevator Car Illumination.
    Currently lighting on these 2 side by side elevators are on 2 separate circuits. Fed by a remote panel.
    They want a disconnect in Equipment Room, it is already protected by Breakers.
    I was thinking a 2 pole disconnect, using 2 separate single pole breakers, or even a 1900 with industrial cover and 2 switches.
    Does this disconnect require "Fuses"?
    Have been to the Stickey, no luck.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2009, 12:25 PM

Strat, see Section 620.22 of the 2008 NEC.

The disconnect shall be in the machine room and shall be the OCPD.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 07:20 AM

I see shall be OCPD and to be locking.
    Don't see the need for fuses? Maybe they are mistaken or myself?
    Does it have to be fuses as Elevator Guy suggested or can I use a 2 pole Outdoor disconnect(They have a provision for a lock). The Elevator uses many keyed alike locks, and one could be used to secure these 2 breakers, in this disconnect?
    Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 07:47 AM
    Strat, Section 620.22 states:

" The overcurrent device protecting the branch circuit shall be located in the elevator machine room..."

My interpretation of that is the disconnect must be the OCPD, and can be a fusible disconnect or circuit breaker, not just a switch.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 08:02 AM

Thanks, I agree, Any suggestions on Locking 2 separate poles?
    A 2 pole outdoor disconnect that has the ability to be locked? Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 08:13 AM

A NEMA 1 fusible disconnect also has locking means.

A two circuit breaker panel is more difficult to lock, so go with a fusible disconnect.

I don't see a need for NEMA 3R, unless you have one in stock.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 09:30 AM

Just got a call back, and he referred me to 620.53.
    I wanted too use 1 enclosure, It's safe, cheaper, and I believe meets code, and will use 1 enclosure not 2?
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 01:52 PM
    Sure, 620.53 states that all circuits for lighting, receptacles, and ventilation shall be opened with one switch, and the disconnect shall be lockable in the open position.

I see no requirement for NEMA 3R, unless the interior oof the room would ne considered a wet location, which I doubt.

You should be fine with a NEMA 1 fusible switch.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 02:38 PM

It's not wet, space allows 1 disconnect with no problem, 2 separate disconnects would be a problem, that is why I want to use a 2 pole disconnect(for the Locking ability), Not weather.
    Does this make any sense, this way 1or both can be off and locked, I appreciate your time, Take Care
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Sure, use a two pole, even a three pole, in case you have three 120 volt circuits.

Remember, all circuits in the car need to be disconnected with one switch. So if you have two lighting circuits, the third pole can be used for ventilation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dizzy when around elevator [ 19 Answers ]

I work in a 4 story building and when I enter the building, just standing in front of the elevator waiting, I get dizzy. Once Im on the elevator, Im dizzy. When I go to the building across the street, I get dizzy as soon as I stand in front of the elevator. I can understand getting dizzy ON the...

Elevator riddle! [ 3 Answers ]

A man rides his elevator from the 13th floor to the 1st floor every morning, in the afternoon after work he returns to the same elevator to ride it back up to his room but only rides it to the 7th floor and walks the rest of the way up. He does this everyday. Why is this?

Elevator [ 2 Answers ]

What is the force (in Newtons) used if an elevator lifts passengers 30 meters in 24 seconds and the elevator is 15,000 watts?

How can I get over my elevator feer? [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. Well Thursday I have an appointment with my dentist but in order to see him I need to take a elevator ( DUN DUN DUN) I have a sick fear of elevators and I have been panicking for a week... I feel that its just going to get stuck and no one will come to help. I don't want be trapped...

Elevator Power. [ 7 Answers ]

A 550 kg elevator starts from rest. It moves upward for 5.00 s with constant acceleration until it reaches its cruising speed, 1.75 m/s. (a) What is the average power of the elevator motor during this period? W (b) How does this power compare with the motor power when the elevator moves at its...

View more questions Search