Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rajasaab Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 11:30 AM
    H1B Taxes for Indian Citizens
    Hello,

I am an Indian Citizen currently in the US on an H1-B Visa since Nov 2004. I was recently told by someone that I can claim back by Social Security and Medicare taxes that I have paid in 2004 and 2005 since there is a provision in the Indo-US tax treaty that since India has an equivalent/comparable Social Security program Indian citizens are exempt or can claim back the SS and Medicare Taxes.

Is there any truth to this. If yes, how do I go about claiming the money back?

Thanks and appreciate the help.

RS
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 12, 2006, 03:32 PM
    RS:

You cannot claim a refund; that much I know for sure!

You should contact the Indian government to see about getting equivalent credit against the Indian system.
    rajasaab Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 07:52 AM
    Thanks for the reply!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2006, 03:48 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 taxes for Indian F1 student [ 7 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert Thank you in advance for your time. I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and helping everyone out. I am currently an undergraduate student, on an F-1 Visa. I am studying in MA and am a citizen of India. I arrived in the US on August 2003. Starting from my freshman...

Taxes For Indian Students [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a Indian student on F1 at Georgia. I am married and my wife is in F2 visa. We are directly coming from india. I am getting full tuition waiver and graduate assistantship. I wanted to know what will be the portion of taxes withheld every month from my slary and whether the indian US...

Indian tax treaty clause for H1B status ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I have summarized my case below - Jan 2005 (31 days) - F1/OPT Feb 2005 through Dec 2005 - H1B I filed taxes using the 1040EZ form, where I could "not" avail of the Indian tax treaty clause. The calculation for my taxable income was:

F1-OPT-H1B(Indian citizen) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Need some help with my tax situation. Citizenship:India Came to US: Aug 2002 Have been in US since then. Worked on OPT status from March 2005 to September 2005

Taxes for Indian Citizen on H1 in US [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen from India. I am currently on H1 visa. I have been on H1 since 2003. Which tax form should I file? Am I allowed to be treated as non resident under tax treaty and file NR form? Last year I was a dual status but instead filed 1040 EZ. I think I could have filed 1040 NR...

View more questions Search