Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    06maryanna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Herpes
    Can you receive herpes from someone infected through smoking a cigarette behind them?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 11, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Do you mean genital herpes? Or maybe the herpes virus that is found in cold sores?

If you mean genital, then no. That must be genital contact.

If that person has a cold sore on their mouth, then yes it is a possibility.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Nov 15, 2006, 09:34 PM
    Agree with J_9 (unless you are getting rather kinky with your smoking habits - a la Monica Lewinski :eek: ). Someone once asked me if it were possible to either get pregnant or to get an STD sitting on a toilet seat - I told them you most definitely could - but it would likely be somewhat uncomfortable for both you and your lover... ;)

Herpes simplex type 1 (HSV-1) is usually associated with oral (mouth) lesions and type 2 (HSV-2) associated with genital lesions - but that's not always the case. The viruses are very closely related and you can transfer HSV-1 from your (or someone else's) mouth to your genitals by touching a cold sore and then touching your genitals - or through oral sex. Likewise, HSV-2 can be transferred from genitals to mouth in a similar manner through touch or oral sex. Shared oral objects - cigarettes, toothbrushes, silverware, etc - can possibly spread whichever virus (HSV-! Or 2) is residing in the infected person's mouth to yours. See this link for more info...

http://www.herpesonline.org/articles/herpes_virus.html
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 16, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 06maryanna
    Can you receive herpes from someone infected through smoking a cigarette behind them?
    I guess that would really all depend on what you are doing WHILE smoking that cigarette behind them! Okay, okay, I have a dirty mind. I guess it really is all in your syntactical interpretation, huh? :)
    ohstop Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 05:40 PM
    No. That's silly.
    Drake14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2012, 08:50 PM
    See a doctor about it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search