Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 11, 2006, 08:32 AM
    Continuity tester that applies load
    As we know, you can do a continuity test on automotive wiring that shows good, but due to a high resistance connection, it won't carry a load. Some months ago on one of the car shows on Speed Channel, they touted a neat tool (about $100) that can put a load on the wiring circuit to locate the problem. Does anyone remember the name of the company that makes it. I have a buddy who hooked up 110 volts to the wiring for his Camaro tail lights, and looked for smoke or fire at the bad connection. This is obviously not a good way to locate the problem. By the way he did locate the bad joint without torching his car or killing himself. Thank you for any help
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2006, 09:08 AM
    Dr D, if you disconnect the negative. Terminal of the battery, you can safely use an ordinary digital multimeter on your car to test for resistance (ohms) and not just continuity. Similarly, if you know the input voltage on a circuit, you can set your DMM to DCV and check for voltage drop. I would recommend a Fluke 16, which can be used on automotive and HVAC applications. Besides all normal capabilities, it allows you to test capacitors, diodes, and, with the use of an included thermocouple, temperature.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 11, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Dear txgreasmonkey, I thank you for your response. I assume that the voltage to the lights is 12 V. If one put the VOM at the terminus of the circuit, by the tail light socket and the other lead to ground, how much of a voltage drop would indicate a high resistance joint? Since the meter doesn't apply much load, wouldn't the drop be greater with a bulb demanding power? As for resistance in the wire from front to back, I would think the ohms should be close to zero for a good wire. What ohm reading do you think would indicate a less than good connection. Thanks again.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2006, 11:42 AM
    The voltage drop should be nil on a good connector. Just make sure the black test lead is pressed firmly into a good, clean ground. The voltage going to the connector is not going to be affected by whether a bulb is installed. It's difficult for me to answer your last question precisely. For reference purposes, check the resistance (ohms) of the other good tail light.

As you know, most people troubleshoot tail light issues with a simple test light. The basic issue is whether you are getting power or not. It's normally a yes or no situation. Precise voltage and resistance measurements usually aren't made. If necessary, a test light or DMM can help locate an "open" in the circuit. A quality test light glows more brightly with higher voltage, which helps you assess circuit resistance, not just continuity. Hope this helps, even though I haven't seen the tool mentioned on the Speed Channel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Images won't load PLEASE HELP! [ 7 Answers ]

Not all images on Yahoo.com, Cnet.com and other sites aren't loading? HAs anyone else had this problem. When I right-click the placeholder where the image should be it says the image is at i.i.com.com or us.a1.yimg.com and they won't load. Please help!

GA or Fla which State Tax applies [ 1 Answers ]

We have been living in Fla for the last four years solely. This year we purchased a home in the Ga mtns. For our second Home. We had to get a Ga drivers license in order to purchase A tag for the auto we'll be leaving here. We still have Fla tags That will be purchased on Fla only license. We...

Which state tax applies to me [ 1 Answers ]

I am on H1B Visa. My employer a consulting services firm based in Texas. I am working for a client of my employer who is in Vireginia. My wife works and stays in West Virginia. I used to stay in Texas and visits my wife in westvirginia on week ends. Due to my services for the client company in...

Load calculation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Please advise me what are the factors considered for calculating the Tonnage Rate whilst selecting the AC units for Industry / office environment. Regards Pankaj

Wind load [ 1 Answers ]

How can I calculate wind load on anchor bolts for chain link fence posts? Then, how to calculate same load if posts are anchored and buried in 30" of concrete?

View more questions Search