Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonyneedshelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Ask the experts with excel and access
    Ihave a an excel sheet that has 20,000 sku product id with poor descriptions. I have another spreadsheet that has updated descriptions that match the sku from the first sheet. I want to update the first sheet with the new descriptions from the other sheet.
    The product skus are not in the same order on the two different sheets and the original sheet has other product sku's that will not have to be updated. Is their a good way to do this
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 2, 2009, 03:48 PM

I would use LOOKUP, VLOOKUP, or INDEX/MATCH to accomplish looking up the matching ID in one sheet to bring in the new description from the second sheet.

A basic index/match goes something like this.

Sheet2:
    column A - SKUs in a different order
    column B - better descriptions

Sheet1:
    column A - SKUs
    column B - bad desc
    column C - this formula starting in C2

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2, Sheet2!A:A, 0)), INDEX(Sheet2!B:B, MATCH(A2, Sheet2!A:A, 0)), B2)

Copy that formula all the way down the data set. Then highlight the new column, copy it, and EDIT > PASTE SPECIAL > VALUES to remove the formulas. Then delete the original column B.

All done. The formula given would preserve the original description if there is not a new one on the second sheet.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 2, 2009, 04:12 PM

if you want to keep this in Excel I would go with JB's solution.

But it would be a lot easier to do in Access. You can link to the spreadsheet tables from Access then do a simple update query:

UPDATE oldtable INNER JOIN ON oldTable.SKU =newtable.SKU SET oldtable.Description = newtable.description;

If you need to do lookups on these products, Access will be easier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Access excel through network [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have created a report in excel. In which I used a database to display value in worksheet. Now I want to make the workbook accessible through out network. I have done a couple of steps to do that, like 1. Save as web page... not working 2. Open with browser... not working ...

Export access table to Excel format [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying following code its working fine. Private Sub Command3_Click() 'Export function 'EXPORTS TABLE IN ACCESS DATABASE TO EXCEL 'REFERENCE TO DAO IS REQUIRED Dim strExcelFile As String Dim strWorksheet As String

Excel to CSV query importing in to an access DB [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having a problem when I convert an excel ss to a CSV file. I have the following formula in excel =IF(D5="Transfer off",IF(COUNTIF(Sheet3!$H$3:$I$36,Sheet1!C5),VLOOKUP(Sheet3!$H$3:$I$36,2,0),""),IF(D5="Transfer on",C5,"")) I'm converting to CSV to import in to an access database and when...

Exporting from Access to Excel [ 7 Answers ]

Scottgem, Here is the sample database & associated excel file relating to my problem w/ exporting from access to excel (thread started in AllExperts.com); you'll need to go into the VBA of the Access database and change the reference to the location of the excel file in order for it to run (I've...

Access and Excel [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to import simple information from a spreadsheet in Excel into a pre-existing Access table? If so, how?

View more questions Search