Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    federico01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 11:45 PM
    Child suport take payments from me I am on ssi social security
    I am on ssi I get just enough to pay rent and child suport saya I owe them can they take it out of my social security ssi monthly check
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2009, 05:37 PM

Yes, they can. If you cannot afford the support, go to court and ask for it to be reduced.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2009, 05:44 PM

If you are on SS Disability you can go to the Social Security office and sign your child up for them to receive their own disability check. If it is SSI or supplemental income then you cannot "sign" them up to get their own check.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2009, 08:58 PM

Is it ssi or ssdi? If it is ssi then no they can't. You need to go back to the same court that ordered the support and show them the proof that you are receiving ssi and that is the only income you have and they should discontinue current support. However, any past due support that is in arrears you will still be held responsible for but they can't take it out of your ssi.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax debt and social security lump sum payments [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I owe roughly 14,000.00 in back taxes. He became totally disabled in 2005,up to that date and to the present I have been under an agreement with the IRS that I was unable to make monthly payments due to economic hardship,but was in agreement that they would keep any income tax I was...

Social Security payments to foreigners [ 1 Answers ]

My father paid Social Security while in the US with a legal green card. Can he retrieve those monies now that he is retired and living in OZ?

Social Security Disability Payments - Taxable? [ 1 Answers ]

Are Social Security Disability Payments taxable by the IRS?

25 percent withholding on social security payments [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm planning to live on my social security and long-term disability payments in the Philippines. I want to pass the substantial presence test to avoid paying the 25.5 percent tax withholding. What is the maximum number of days I can live abroad each year and not pay the...

Social Security disability payments and garnishments [ 2 Answers ]

Are social security disabiltiy payments subject to garnishments for back spousal support or child support? I know that social security benefits are subject to garnishment but was wondering about disability pymts? Thanks

View more questions Search