Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YeloDasy Posts: 363, Reputation: 81

Dec 1, 2009, 10:25 PM
    Last day of work this week.
    I have accepted another position and my last day of work is Friday. I have about 15 co workers and boss. I work in a mental health agency in a school setting. So I have my coworkers and a school full of teaches and admin.
    My questions is... what is appropriate when leaving? I feel like I want to give them something but it seems like a lot of work and feels strange. Is there etiquette to leaving a position?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 2, 2009, 03:39 AM

For your close acquaintances, a small memory trinket on the order of a key fob or bracelet charm might be appropriate. For co-workers, a goodbye hug or handshake should be sufficient providing you seek them out to say goodbye personally.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2009, 11:04 AM

Nothing is expected but how about bringing a treat in for the whole staff for the break room? Order pizza in if that's not too costly and treat for lunch, or bring in donuts, or bake brownies... you are on the right track to leave on the best terms possible to maintain the friendships, and also the reference!

And after you leave, make a point of staying connected with your boss - send a thank you note for their contribution to your growth and learning in your career, for example. They will remember your class when you ask for a reference later!
    YeloDasy Posts: 363, Reputation: 81

Dec 2, 2009, 06:15 PM

Thanks! These suggestions are good. I work for an angency, and there is one of us in each school at a district. So I am not in contact with my co workers daily... but I can do the brownies for my school staff. :)
    My boss and I get along, but we have had our conflicts, mainly because she is passive aggressive, she plays favorites and I am not one of them, and she is a new supervisor and learning her role. She is very insecure and gets mad at us staff a lot. So I don't want to burn my bridges and I want to do something nice for her, but I don't want her to make it a big deal and thank her too much because she is part of the reason I am leaving... as well as why others have left. :) Is there a middle? Haha
    trulytrying Posts: 122, Reputation: 6

Dec 9, 2009, 06:11 PM

I would think that THEY would do a little something special for you. A nice send off some kind...
    Since I'm posting this after your last day...
    What happened? How'd it go?
    Hoping the best for you at your new job. : )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married on same day [ 5 Answers ]

Will I be able to get married on the day my divorce will be final

How do I calculate total hours when employee didn't work a day [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Microsoft excel spreadsheet set up to keep track of the employees hours. The spreadsheet calculates their hours per day with no problem. However, when it comes to the total hours for the week, one the employees has worked 48 hours and its showing 11:30. I'm thinking it is because I have no...

Is it OK to work 95 hours a week on salary? [ 1 Answers ]

For over a year, I have been worked as a chef and Director of Food Services for a Private college. 9 out of 12 months of the year I work between 85-106 hours a week. It is a requirement for me to be there, because 90% of my workers are students. Which means I only have 8 staff member and feeding...

Minimum hours to work per week [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know what the Minimum hours to work per week is in CA. I heard it was 20 others said it was 15 can someone please let me know.

TAXES- I live in nj work in ny once a week [ 6 Answers ]

I live in NJ and work in NY once a week, the rest of the week I work for the same job but in NJ, all my tax was withheld in NY wats my best option and what forms do I need

View more questions Search