Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patron0607 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 10:08 PM
    Cd drive not reading any discs
    Been working perfectly and then stopped recognizing any kind of disk all of a sudden. I've used device manager to troubleshoot which indicates everything is working properly. I've uninstalled the driver through the device manager and re-installed upon a re-start and still nothing. When I place a disk in the drive the green light blinks repeatedly but nothing else happens. The drive shows up when I go into my computer and it ejects from my computer. Does anyone have any ideas? Based upon my research it's either my disk drive needs replaced or it's the ide cable. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2009, 12:40 AM

Chances are its not a hardware problem. Certain software issues cause cd drives not to work. Usually when it's a hardware problem, it doesn't come on so suddenly, its more of a progressive change. It starts intermittently and eventually stops.

I've had a similar issue in the past. A good test to see if it is the drive or something else would be a boot test. Get your hands on a boot disk. Knoppix, dos, anything that uses a cdrom. Pop it in the drive and reboot. Enter your bios settings and change boot order to cdrom first. Then save and exit. If the drive reads the disk, and then boots you know its not a hardware issue.

I never did figure out why mine was having problems, I ended up reinstalling the OS and it worked fine after that. If you find it is a software issue you can try a few things before you reinstall. Run a windows cd and do the repair option. The one where it replaces only system files. Do a few virus scans, I prefer malewarebytes and another, which I can't remember right now.

I will post tomorrow with more info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dvd drive won't read blank discs [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, hope someone can help, I'm having problems with my drive, it won't read blank dvd-r/rw's, It's fine when it comes to regular discs with data on them, it just keeps telling me to insert a blank disc even though there's one in there. The number of the disc drive is WDC-WD400BB-00DEA0 (IF...

Not reading cd/dvd drive [ 8 Answers ]

I had to recently buy a new hard drive from BB and when I installed it, the new hard drive isn't reading my E: / cd/dvd drive:(:(

Cd/dvd drive stopped recognizing discs [ 5 Answers ]

The disc drive stopped recognizing my discs. What is the problem and how can I fix it. I have windows vista

My CD drive is not reading some Cds.. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm a new guest to this forum.. For past two days I found that my cd-drive is not recognising some of the cds, which I wrote in the same system and which was read sometime before by the same drive... I don't know how to solve the problem... Pls help.. Mine is Dell-laptop with Sony dvd+RW, and...

CD Drive Isn't Reading Certain CDs? [ 1 Answers ]

My CD drive isn't reading the disk I use for the game I play ( I know it sounds stupid ). The computer is a Compaq Presario. The drive doesn't sound like it's spinning or running at all, the light on the drive goes on for a couple of seconds then turns off. The drive reads every other disk though...

View more questions Search