Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 03:45 PM
    Root canal on crowned
    I have had a permanent crown for over a year. I was chewing on an almond a couple of days ago and I felt a sharp pain which has not lessened. I went to my dentist and he said I needed a crown. My question is do 'they' drill over the crown? Do I need another crwon? I know the cost varies but I don't have dental insurance, how much am I looking at? It is in my seond upper right molar.

Thanks,
    Art
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 03:47 PM

I meant the dentist said I need a root canal... I already have the crown.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 1, 2009, 03:56 PM

We have a couple of dental experts here. I'll let them know about your question.

From what I remember from a similar question, the dentist may be able to do the root canal through the crown or even remove the crown during the root canal and then replace the crown on the built-up tooth.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2009, 07:25 PM
    Wondergirl is right. Often a root canal can be done through the crown as long as there is no decay under it. Did the dentist say there was an abscess seen on the x-ray? Is the discomfort getting any better or is it staying the same? Root canals on molar teeth here in Ontario cost around $800.00, you'd have to call around to ask estimates for a root canal on a tooth with 3 roots.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Dec 3, 2009, 12:55 AM

Be prepared to get a new crown as well.. depending on the size of the filling under the crown, doing the root canal may lead to the crown becoming weak or coming off, requiring you to get a new one
    Smile524 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2009, 02:17 AM

always get a 2nd opinion. When doing so see if you can get a copy of the current x-ray. Try and see if you could get a free consultation from an endodontist, they specialize in RCT, but if a new crown is recommended then most likely a general dentist will do it. ( That will mean RCT cost plus the cost of the crown) The dentists I have worked for, charge anywhere from 800 to 1200 dollars, not including the crown. Also remember- you are a cash paying patient, try and work something out, a better fee or maybe paying over time. Dentistry has been hit by the bad economy and hopefully they will work with you on the cost

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I really need a root canal? [ 3 Answers ]

April 2008: - my dentist put a filling into the top of my back, bottom molar -- she noted that it was a pretty small filling - the tooth didn't bother me at all prior to this - a couple days later I started getting an acute, sharp pain when I chewed on that side

Root canal [ 2 Answers ]

I had a re-do on a root canal on my upper right no.2 molar last one in back, wisdom teeth have been extracted. X-rays showed a cyst or pocket of infected area, or something. Re-do was successful though pocket area did not drain. I have had trouble focusing with my right eye before re-do and since,...

Re doing root canal [ 1 Answers ]

Before 16 years ago I have root canal and after that I have surgery (apicoectomy) .last year I put one bridge upper and now on tooth #8 I have pocket and I went to dentist ,they took x-ray and he said that the root canal failed and I have to do one more surgery.he said that if he do the root canal...

Root canal [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I had a root canal and the tooth needs a crown, but I am petrified of the dentist. The tooth never had pain until the dentist touched my tooth two years ago. Now the tooth has pain every now and then. The other night that same tooth had pain, but the pain was gone in the morning. The next...

Root Canal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a root canaled tooth, #11, that is bothering me. I have had it for over 6 years. I got it xrayed and it showed that the post had fractured the tooth above the gumline. I was not given a choice of options on this, only to extract it. I don't want to do this. I know it can be saved somehow....

View more questions Search