Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knoxwell Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 11:49 AM
    Replacing our Heat Pump system
    Our system is only 9-10 years old. The compressor went out in the outside unit. Is this an accurate life expectancy for a system? We are told it was a cheap 'builders grade' system. (Teledyne) And also that it was too big for the house. It was a 50 ton system and he said we barely need a 40 ton. Could this be the reason the compressor failed?
    We are being told we should replace the whole system due to the R22 to R410 change. Is this true?
    Cost = $14,000 (York) to $15,000 (American Standard). Includes system, labor, electronic air cleaner, duct cleaning, comfort system thermostat, 10 yr parts, 5 yrs labor, 2 yrs of tune ups and cleaning. This seems so high. We are calling for more estimates now... but would like some help on what brands to consider.
    Also, he said he could just flush out the lineset. Is this true or should refrigerant lineset be replaced?
    Thanks in advance for any help...
    Clueless in Washington State
    :confused:
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 1, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Is this an accurate life expectancy for a system?

Actually there is no accurate life expectancy for a heat pump but a good guess is around 9 to 15 years with the proper annual service as recommended by the factory.

We are told it was a cheap 'builders grade' system. (Teledyne)

That is possible depending upon the model number. That brand is not to popular also.

It was a 50 ton system and he said we barely need a 40 ton.

First off it is not a 50 ton unit for any house it is more than likely a 5 ton unit which is 60,000 btu's. Yes it is possible your unit is to large BUT there is only ONE way to tell how large a unit you actually need and that is by doing a manual J on your home to calculate the heat loss and heat gain of the structure. Anyone tells you different has no idea what they are talking about.

We are being told we should replace the whole system due to the R22 to R410 change. Is this true?

Yes that is a true statement and while you are at it I also suggest you replace the line set from the inside unit to the outside unit and also make sure it is the proper size.

Cost = $14,000 (York) to $15,000 (American Standard). Includes system, labor, electronic air cleaner, duct cleaning, comfort system thermostat, 10 yr parts, 5 yrs labor, 2 yrs of tune ups and cleaning. This seems so high. We are calling for more estimates now... but would like some help on what brands to consider.

Do not pick the brand or the price but pick the qualified contractor. Get at least 3 estimates,call the BBB to see if any complaints on file,follow the item posted below and make your decission. ALL unit are designed to work well it is the install that makes a good system or a junker not the equipment.

Also, he said he could just flush out the lineset.

Flushing a line set is acceptable to some but I prefer new since you are not going to save much money and you want to make sure the line set is properly sized. Also a new lineset takes away and blame on problems from being brought up about the old used lineset.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf How to pick a Contractor.pdf (309.7 KB, 127 views)

Dec 1, 2009, 02:04 PM

Thank you so much for your help! Of course you are correct it was 5 ton... not 50 ton. He did some calculations on our home to come up with that recommendation. Square footage, # of windows, # of vents. He said it came to a little over 3.78 that is why he suggested the 4 ton unit. He aid the 5 ton unit was too large and that is most likely why our compressor burned up. I have arranged 2 more estimates per your suggestion.
    Thanks again!

Dec 1, 2009, 05:48 PM
    Enjoy your new equipment.

Dec 3, 2009, 07:28 PM

OK... I have gotten all of my estimates. But we have 2 items that are different on our 2 'favorite' bids.
    1. 20KW Heat strips vs 10KW Heat strips
    2. Honeywell F300 Electronic Air Filter($650.00) vs Trane Clean Effects Electronic Air Filter($1000.00).
    Can you tell me whether these differences really make a difference?

Dec 3, 2009, 11:44 PM
    20 KW is a lot of strip heat but they are probably sizing it to cover the entire load just in case the heat pump breaks down so if not to expensive I would let that ride.

A 1000.00 air cleaner is a little to rich for me.

When it all comes down to your situation let your pocket book be your guide.

If you have the time post the entire estimates so we can see the entire differences.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing contactor on our heat pump [ 5 Answers ]

My husband is changing a 1 pole contactor to a 2 pole contactor on our air conditioner. The problem is he is not sure which wires go where. Could you please help.

Replacing a heat pump at the coast [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 year old home on the coast with original dual lennox heat pumps. My energy costs are high in the summer and the ac runs continuously. The upstairs unit is not cooling as well as downstairs and often needs freon. I am thinking of only replacing the upstairs unit. Is this a viable...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Replacing Thermostate by Hunter 44260 (on Heat Pump) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. I currently have a Thermostate White-Rodgers that I would like to replace by the Programmable Hunter 44260. Current wiring: C = Blue W2 & E JUMPED = White R = Red G = Green O / B = Orange Y = Yellow

Replacing 15 yr old carrier heat pump, best suggestion? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a high humidity area that has cold winters that can reach but not sustain 0 degrees and hot summers that can reach and sustain almost 100 degrees. I am replacing a whole house Carrier 2.5 ton unit; what is the best replacement with the best warranty for an 1800 sq ft house? I need this...

View more questions Search