Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanG Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 10:44 PM
    Running Electric, Cat5, and Telephone Cables
    Hi --

I'm new to this site! Thanks for making it available.

I have a new 18x36' shed that I am going to put a sub-panel in. The sub-panel will be 100 amps and is approximately 120' from the main panel located in the main house. So, I will be running underground electric cable from the main panel in a trench to the shed.

I also want to run an ethernet cable (cat5) and a 24awg phone pair to the shed. Can I run all three of these cables in the same trench 24" below ground level?

Once I get the three cables into the shed, is there any problem (with interference?) running AC power (110 or 220v) stapled next to the telephone and/or cat5 cable to the boxes where the computer and telephone will be plugged in?

Thanks much for information!

Dan Gallagher
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2006, 06:34 AM
    I assume you will be installing a conduit for power, and a conduit for tele/data lines. If not be sure all cables are rated for direct burial. I really do recommend that conduit be installed, insures better protection for all the cables, and allows for easy changes and upgrades later on.

Generally, we like to keep power and teledata lines away from each other as reasonable as possible, so we keep power on one side of the trench and teledata on the other, the general distance apart is 12" away from power feeder cables running adjacent lengthwise.

Once inside and near branch circuit cables, running adjacent lengthwise keep away 2", and only cross both at 90 Deg.

These are general requirements, your specific teledata cables may have their own specs to follow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat 7 Vs Cat6 cables [ 3 Answers ]

I know the CAT 7 has performance better than CAT 6 cables. I know the connectors and priferal equipment of using with CAT 7 should be specially designed to to impair the cat 7 performace. But what problem may I face if I want usiong the Data cable cat 7 instead cat 6 cable in a system designed for...

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

Straight through v.s. Reverse cables [ 4 Answers ]

When making a telephone line cord, the sequence of wires is reversed - e.g. yellow to the right side of an RJ-11 at one end, to the left side at the other end. Is this arrangement called "straight through"? I am making a batch of RJ-11, 4 conductor cords that will connect a computer to a...

Rca cables in cd player/amp [ 1 Answers ]

Well I think I have a good reason why my amp tweeters do not work, they are hooked into the channel 3/4 ports, well my amp is hooked to my cd playere with only 2 rca cables which allows me two channels, I want 4 channels so is there a way I can get another set of rca cables coming from my cd player...

PC to PC through cat5 [ 1 Answers ]

Help911, usually, with no TCP/IP internet connection such as through a DSL modem and/or router, you can connect 2 pcs together using a cross-over CAT5 RJ45 cable Or a hub with an uplink port to connect a non cross-over CAT5 cable. A pre-made CAT5 cross-over cable is much easier to use (and...

View more questions Search