Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Revy Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 30, 2009, 09:52 PM
    Stone found in Central Oregon
    I am raising a young girl with a strong interest in paleontology. She is always turning over rocks looking for her next discovery.
    Recently, she found a small stone in a pile of rubble near our home town, Bend, Oregon. When she showed it to me, she asked if it might be a fossil. I didn't see anything at first, but on closer examination it looked like a single fin from a rayed fish. Ive attached some regular photos, as well as a couple of microscope shots at 100x. Should this go in our collection, or is it just an example of paleo-pareidolia?

The stone is 6cm wide, and the exposed shape is 3cm x 2.5cm. The area we live in is volcanically active, but there are isolated areas dating back to Tertiary. We discovered the stone in a backfill pile at a local school, so we don't know the original location of the stone when it was dug up. Thank you for any help you might be able to offer.

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 30, 2009, 11:35 PM

Hi Revy, for sure it is impossible for me to see what you see in these pictures. I guess the resolution is not so good this way, but in any event, yes I think you had better relegate it to paleo-pareidolia as you say.

I would probably have to be right on top of the stone to see what you see, but what a great interesting hobby for her that may develop into a lifetime adventure!

Tick
    Revy Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2009, 10:54 AM
    That's science. It doesn't matter how much you love your hypothesis, until someone validates your research, its just your own wild idea. The more I look at the stone, the more Im attracted to those lines that run along the dark spot. They are ridged up, which is what led me to think it might be a rayed fin. The more I look at it, the more those lines run parallel to each other. If it were truly a fin, I think they would look more like, well, rays!

I think having an unvalidated hypothesis will teach my daughter at least as much about science as if it were an actual find.

Thanks for your time.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 1, 2009, 02:29 PM

I have always had a long standing love of archeology, passed that on to my son as well. We would go 'hunting' in northern Ontario, around Georgian Bay turning over rocks when he was 8. We had so much fun and found something, or saw something in almost every rock we turned over.

I love it when young people develop a thirst for knowledge. It validates our existence as parents sharing the same hobbies, interests, doesn't it ?

Keep her going in the right direction. Maybe some day she will make a find that she will absolutely have to present to your nearest museum.

Ms tickle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ductless Central AC vs Regular central AC [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I received a brochure from my power company telling me I should consider "ductless" ac versus the traditional ac cooling unit. What are the differences between the two? The only thing the brochure said was that ductless was more friendly to the environment. Thanks

Found the actually verse of the song, but still haven't found the name =[ [ 1 Answers ]

I found one verse of the song I've been looking for ! :) But still haven't found the song!! :mad: :( :confused: Here's the verse: "cause im mr mr lonely open up the door what did i see my baby with another man right infront of me"

Can I sue Oregon DMV? [ 5 Answers ]

Last summer I was t-boned in an intersection by a guy who ran a red light. He was also taking his drivers test and had a DMV guy with him. The driver only spoke Spanish, the DMV examiner only spoke English. The license examiner said in the accident report that he saw that the driver was going to...

Descendant of Stone Age skeleton found [ 4 Answers ]

I just recently came across an article (yes, it's old) about the Cheddar Man. I wondered if anyone else had heard about him or his connections.

View more questions Search