Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bullet Magnet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 07:21 PM
    Norton SystemWorks ruined my laptop
    I just installed Nortons SystemWorks. Well, I say installed, apparently there was an error during installation. For some unfathomable reason the uninstall software is not included on the disk, so I had to download one from the link provided. And thus the problems begin.

The download is JavaScript based, and SystemWorks has disabled JavaScript. Permanently. All this stuff about internet settings, enabling ActiveScript to get it back, it's all useless. As a result, anything requiring JavaScript in any way; downloads, YouTube, any and all Flash, most of my forums etc, are completely disabled. I can't even log into my DeviantArt account.

I can't re-install Norton without uninstalling it first, which has been rendered impossible. Manual attempts at removing it have proved fruitless. So I resorted to the disk functions. WinDoctor, and DiskDoctor. They found problems and proceeded to fix them. This killed Windows Media Player: an "application error" appears the moment I click on it, along with several other important programs.

Nortons SystemWorks has ruined my computer more than any virus could. It is completely rampant. Can anyone help me?
    darrenosborne Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Sorry to hear you have been having problems.

Norton is notoriously bad at removing itself, even if the uninstall actually works. In my opinion norton is a virus in it's own right, it infects your computer and can cause more problems than it solves.

I fear the only solution you have left is to do a factory reset of your laptop :(

However, if you still have a chance, and your internet works, you could try the following:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...6?OpenDocument
    marburg Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2006, 12:54 PM
    What is your Operating System? If it is Windows XP then you should be able to use the System Restore. Simply click on a restore point that is just prior to the installation of Norton System Works. If everything goes well your system will be restored to the point before you put in NSW. If things go wrong System Restore will tell you it could not restore your PC. If that doesn't work, then I would try to back up all data you don't want to lose and use your factory disks to restore your system to its original state. If you do that, you will have to reinstall any software you added.
    Marburg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A Virus that Norton can't FIX [ 4 Answers ]

Its called win32.mixor!inf.. Nortons detects it, but can't repair it! And even if it tries to quarantine it, it says acces to file was denied. Like my computer also detects it (Windows Xp) then there's this bubble that won't stop appearing saying that my computer is infected! :mad: :mad: It...

Hair Got Ruined Need Help [ 1 Answers ]

I had very light brown hair with highlights. But my highlights on the top of my head had blended and you couldn't distinguish the highlight. I went to the beauty solon and asked if they could put in a little color between the highlight just enough to define the highlight, my roots also needed to...

Norton or AVG [ 3 Answers ]

I run Windows XP and norton anti virus but I still get viruses so I downloaded AVG but I'ts making my machine run slowly - do I need both? Can I get rid of Norton and still be protected? How can I speed up my machine? I've run disk cleanup, I don't have temp files cloggin it up, since...

Uninstall Norton [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Until I can fit a new system in my budget, I'm stuck with my Windows ME. How do I uninstall Norton Security and Norton Anti-virus system? At one point I did hit uninstall in the programs list, now I can't find it anywhere, it's not even in install/uninstall programs. Also when I try to...

Norton confused [ 6 Answers ]

I just changed from a dial-up connection to wireless DSL. Now Norton Anti-Virus is unable to download updates. I;m using XP Home. What internet options require a change? Many thanks.

View more questions Search