Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 30, 2009, 05:39 PM

Our extended family has always exchanged gifts with each other. One Christmas years ago, without any warning or previous discussion, a sil decided to give donations to an area zoo in everyone's name. We received from the zoo a handsome Christmas card with a photo of a manatee and its life story.

I couldn't decide how I felt -- like a spendthrift for daring to spend money on family members' gifts or like a spoiled kid who was mad because he got rocks in his Christmas stocking. Actually, I think my biggest problem was that there had been no discussion about this during wish-list exchanges. And I really do like manatees...

So if you're planning to drastically change your gift-giving m.o. tell everybody involved.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2009, 09:20 AM

Perhaps the gift this year could be a donation in the person's name.

However, consider the recipient - gifts are meant to be selected and given to bring joy to the recipient so if a donation to a charity would not do that, it's not the right gifts for that person. Gifts are also to be received to bring joy to the giver, so receive them graciously. If they won't find out about it, sure - return it and donate the cash, or donate the item itself to a charity.

Bottom line is, it's admirable to want to give to those in need, but don't offend all the people you love in the process - that's not very charitable in the end! And some gift giving - like those annoying office grab bags and secret santas? Might as well just participate instead of irritating all your colleagues... part of getting along.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accepting gifts from colleges [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is going to visit a college today and play a round of golf with the golf team in hopes of earning a scholarship. When she arrives at the course should she pay for her round of golf or is it considered accepting a gift if the golf coach from the school lets her play for free with the...

Christmas gifts [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, I'm getting stressed! I haven't got much money and I have MANY friends and family who I need to buy christmas prezzies for. What can I buy them I need ideas. Its so annoying!! PLEASE HELP?! An also I really do not know what I want for christmas. I have 100 pound left to buy whatever I...

Accepting expensive gifts [ 8 Answers ]

I am hesitating whether to accept exensive gifts such as diamond jewellery from a one year old boyfriend even though I like him. I am only 17 and he is 20. Is it okay ? Will there be any implication of this on our friendship. Please advise me whether to accept it, In case advice is to return it...

Asking for Christmas gifts etiquette [ 5 Answers ]

My oldest sister is very materialistic. She sent me an e-mail this a.m. "giving me a heads-up" about Christmas gifts for her kids. She proceeded to tell me that the "kids have asked that they receive cash instead of gift cards so they can buy what they want." I was appalled at this rude...

View more questions Search