Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2009, 07:39 AM
    What do I need to know before getting a laptop
    Okay - first let me say that my computer knowledge is limited.

Now - My husband and I are considering buying our 9 year old a laptop for Christmas. Nothing to grand - something that will allow her access to the internet, play her cd rom games and may even watch movies. I have researched netbooks and ebooks - I really don't like them - so I am sticking with a laptop.

Here is what I need to know - what ELSE do you have to get in order to make it possible for her to get on the internet? A wireless router? Networking card?

The one we are looking at has an integrated WIFI card and network card.

We have DSL - don't know if that matters - but couldn't we just link into our internet?

I am so confused - any help would be greatly appreciated!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2009, 08:05 AM

I digress for a moment.

Laptops for 9 yr olds could spell trouble with out parental controls either by a security appliance or some software such as Cyber Sitter. CYBERsitter Official Web Site #1 Internet Filter. It's otherwise suggested to place the computer in a "public" pace in the home.

Wireless comes in a few flavors WIFI (802.11 b.g/n) in order of speed and usually if you have n, you have b and g and if you have g you have b. 802.11n is valuabe if your doing video streaming in the home. B is 10 mb/s, g is 54 mb/s. A cellular modem is yet another technology, but you don't want to go there. Neither do you want to go with WIMAX which is another global emerging wireless technology.

Bluetooth allows the use of say wireless headphones.

A network card is just that, sh would have to plug into the internet, the same as your desktop does. That would be one way of monitoring internet access. To use the internet, you laptop must be in x location.

A wireless router is basically two appliances in one. It's a router and an access point. Some routers can be configuured to act as Access points and not perform a routing function.

Wireless repeaters an be configured as access points as well and they do some other functions. They may be more expensive than a router.

An access point may be easier to add, then say a wireless router. A DSL modem/router/wireless router would be just as easy to add as the access point.

The addition of a wireless router without a DSL modem would be the hardest.

The wireless base, so to speak, is best placed in the center of the house if you want access everywhere.

You do need to enable wireless security.

Any questions, ask away.
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2009, 08:34 AM

Actually - parental controls were going to be my next question. So, thanks for addressing it. Believe me, she will be monitored!

I do not mean to be slow - but I just do not understand all of this computer stuff.

So - if we have DSL now - with the external modem - she could somehow plug into that with out us having to purchase anything other than the laptop itself?

I am just trying to make sure that when she opens it on Christmas morning - all she has to do is (basically) turn it on and viola! She is surfing.

The laptop we are looking at says it has this and that - but I don't know what the heck it means. I have had to Google every feature (almost) just to get a definition as to what it is. :)
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2009, 09:12 AM

No problem.

Here is a discussion on paental controls.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/spywar...ols-11205.html

Do you have a link to the laptop specs?

I guess, I have to ask this. How are you plugged int the DSL modem? USB or Ethernet? The Ethernet connection looks like a big phone plug.

The laptop probably has one. It's listed as an RJ45 jack or 10basT, 100baseT or 1000baseT Ethernet.

Now if you only have one port on your DSL modem, then that's a problem. A 4 port switch solves that issue.

Just like your computer is set up, her's will have too too.

The bid questions are:

1. Do you want wireless?
    2. Is wired OK? Do you have extra Ethernet ports on your DSL modem? How are you connected now (Ethernet/USB)?

Is wired easy to do for the preferred location?

Is the highest speed important? e.g Wireless N. I doubt it.

FYI:
    Certain routers can be configured such that internet access is restricted by time of day and a specific computer.

You will have to configure the laptop for internet access.

You can also call your intenet provider and ask what their recommendations for a router is? What this means is that you'll get support.
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2009, 09:23 AM

Here is what we are looking at.

Dell Refurbished Laptop Computer Cheap Deal

We are plugged in to a Ethernet - the big phone plug looking thing.

I think we only have one port - I don't see anything extra - or a plug waiting to be filled.

I guess wired is okay. If she leaves the house with the laptop - she wouldn't be able to access the internet - just whatever features the laptop itself has - like the cd rom or dvd functions.
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2009, 09:48 AM

Then you would need an Ethernet switch or hub such as this one http://www.nextag.com/Netgear-FS605-...01/prices-html and a 2 Ethernet cables. One goes from the DSL modem into the in port of the swich and both of your coputers, plug into any of the other available ports.

The laptop has a 30 GB HD which is very small. 1 GB of memory is also marginal.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 30, 2009, 07:02 PM

I agree with KISS. While the laptop in question is reasonably a mediocre laptop at best. We must keep in mind that it is for a 9yr old. (which I would be hesitant about as well)

The laptop has an older CPU (approx. 7 years old) but when running Windows XP the system requiremtns are a lot lower then what is currently installed in the laptop in question. So worrying if it will run is not an issue. While the 1GB of RAMdoes meet system requirements it is best to have as much as possible when dealing with a laptop that will be dealing with striclty gaming and movies.

Also the 30 GB is another issue that rises when you're dealing with games and movies. While the movies don't need to be installed onto the PC the Games might need to be installed. And 30 GB will not last long.

Rick
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2009, 08:20 PM

Okay - so right now - that particular laptop is out. He (my husband) found a netbook on the Dell website. I am thinking I don't want to get a netbook - there is no cd/dvd drive. So it would have to be external - don't like that idea.
    So, back to square one - which sadly, is not to far from where I was this morning.
    Thanks for all your help - I may come back with more questions when we find one HE really wants to get!
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2009, 09:17 PM

Anyway...

You could...
    Add say a 300 GB HD for about $100
    2 GB of memory for $60
    And a recovery CD for about $20

And you would achieve your goal, but remember there is now Windows Vista and Windows 7. Both want about 2 GB min, I think. They like memory.

Mainstream support is retired as of April 2009. After 2014 it becomes nearly useless.

Microsoft Support Lifecycle

I guess there is no secret, that manufacturers lower the price by making memory the smallest necessary to run Windows. In a laptop, you have to replace rather than add.

Here's a review of that series: Dell Latitude D610 Review (pics, specs)

Clearly, though this link: Dell Latitude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rules out your intended use for movies. See Del610 problems.

I would advise something with a SATA hard drive interface.

Here is the minimum requirements for Windows 7.

Windows 7 system requirements - Microsoft Windows

More uses for TPM will likely show up in the near future. Trusted Platform Module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows media player and license management is a total headache as it is. You can loose your entire collection if you don't export the license once in a while and the HD crashes.

Those are just some thoughts.

I know I would be looking for SATA and ESATA and bootability from these interfaces. Recovering a laptop isn't fun.

Another reminder, is that you'll probably have to purchase a carry case.

The D610 has poor audio and video without any fixes, so it's out.
    If it had these, then you'd need to add $200 for it to be decent.

Biggest advice is stay away from IDE/ATA/PATA drives. Their supply is dwindling.

For the real movie experience go visit your dentist.

http://www.venturasmile.com/glasses.asp

Or get one yourself.

http://www.i-glassesstore.com/

I'm babbleing.

Come back and see us again. Do your homework. We'll correct it.
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2009, 05:48 AM

Wow! Our budget is around $250 - at the most! I am guessing that is unrealistic based on the info you just gave.
    While we want her to have something nice - we also know that she is only 9 and things happen. (We just found the DS after it went missing for a month)
    I will keep looking - but I am thinking whatever we find in our budget is going to be poo.
    I never knew there was so much to consider! I really just wanted her to access the internet so she can play her barbie games, play her cd rom games and watch the occasional movie if she wanted. Lots of factors with a laptop - I guess!
    Thanks again for the information - it has been very helpful.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2009, 05:55 AM
    I have a 9 year old as well. I wouldn't buy her her own computer yet. She uses my laptop with her own limited profile (I have my more powerful desktop downstairs and the kids know they can't touch that one without me with them). Then again she knows her daddy is a geek. :)

I limit her time on the computer like any other activity, and the laptop is in the middle of the room.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 1, 2009, 06:36 AM

I'm afraid your budget is unrealistic, especially for a laptop. I would not get a refurb or anything with XP or Vista on it. Win 7 has some very nice parental control features built right into it.

All current laptops have built in WiFi cards, but you will need a wireless router to make use of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

How do I reboot my laptop because I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop [ 3 Answers ]

How do I reboot my laptop beacause I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop

How to shift my PC data to laptop, bt laptop is at other place? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a PC now I am shifting to delhi for 2 months for my summer training , I need to shift my PC too so that I can use my data over there... but I can not shift it ,is there any other option so that I can use my data over there witout having my PC... I will be having a laptop over there,but that...

Connect laptop with XP to laptop with Vista [ 1 Answers ]

Easiest way to connect laptop with XP to laptop with Vista

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

View more questions Search