Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vivia12 Posts: 143, Reputation: 15

Nov 29, 2009, 09:00 PM
    Can Anyone tell me How is it like to live in Europe
    Hello Everyone!

Europe to me has always been my Mecca, Paradise, Shangri-la,a place that is so close to me but far away, aplace I've always felt that my soul wouldn't rest unless I'm there.
    I have been in love with Western European architecture,music, history long before majored in History and Art History at the Uni. I missed the chance to actually study abroad,(financial reasons) however One day not only would I love to visit England,France,Italy,Spain,The Netherlands.. I would love to one day live in one of these countries at least for 6 months,can someone,anyoen whose been there,or traveled there tell me the real truth,is it more expensive now,and from hat I read are learn,is the recession there just as bad as in the U.S.

Any suggestions,experiences are welcome!
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Nov 30, 2009, 04:07 AM

I live in England. We have some beautiful green countryside and some lovely Architecture. However, the recession has hit us particularly hard. Apparently we are faring the worst in Europe. Where I live our Town Centre has loads of busnissess which have closed down and it looks terrible with all the shops boarded up and no money available to make it look nice. Also we have had a lot of problems with flooding lately - we do have a lot of rain in this country - not the best place to visit if you care about sunshine - think I've seen about 2 weeks of sunny weather in 3 years. It is expensive here too atm as the pound is not doing at all well.

My son is a regualar visitor to Italy and is thinking he might like to go live there one day. He says it is beautiful, wonderfully clean, has the most amazing History and Architecture (as the home of the renaissance and the vatican it is famed for it's beauty) and has beautiful weather and friendly people.

He has also spent some time in France which is very beautiful and has better weather than ours but the people expect you to learn to speak French and live by their customs if you want to be welcomed properly.

Nov 30, 2009, 04:14 AM
    P.S. I don't mean to offend anyone who is French, I actually admire the French for having such a strong defense of their heritage, in England we don't seem to be proud of anything here, but I'm just pointing out that you need to be prepared to make that effort to feel at home in France.
    vivia12 Posts: 143, Reputation: 15

Nov 30, 2009, 09:19 AM

Hello QLP,

I've always heard that the French weren't to friendly or open,but its hard to believe that,that is an amazing country and I have French heritage. Italy has always been #1 on my list,Venice and Tuscany I heard is beautiful.

Nov 30, 2009, 10:21 AM

I don't think the French are unfreindly but rather they are vey proud of their language and their country. I think there has been too much history of English speaking people visiting and expecting them to speak English in their own country. I just think you would be more fully welcomed if you were prepared to make the effort to speak their language and understand their country - with a French Heritage you should have a head start.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 10, 2010, 04:41 PM

Europe is like a one big museum. Yes, it has become very expensive there especially after EU unified its currency under Euro. Europeans are very friendly (friendly) and helpful. They like people and social life. They live modestly in small houses and apartments and don't feel to own more than they need to get from day to day. Europeans are educated and speak at least one other language. They all know Europe well so listen what they advise you. In Europe, men treat women like women and women love their men back. Be careful, you may be shocked how open they are sexually. Europeans will treat you lot better than the way we treat our foreigns here in the US. Nobody in Europe will send you "back where you came from"... or call you a "f***ing foreign". True statement about French from QLP. French are beautiful people. They rival US in just about any field. Just keep your ego locked in your language. Nobody likes to be told in their own country that they don't do things "the right way". Keep your comments to yourself and take mental notes. Enjoy your stay and don't forget to come back to share with us your experiences ! Good luck ! Milo
    gigi7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2011, 05:02 PM
    Anybody wants to move to Italy , greece or Switzerland and open a BED and BREAKFAST with me give me a email anyday. I will be doing just that within the next year or so - Would love to connect with anyone who has any thoughts or ideas of the best locations etc. Thanks GIGI

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Opening live mail opens live messenger. [ 1 Answers ]

This is getting kind of annoying as it lags my PC... Everyime I log into my windows live mail/hotmail it opens windows live messenger, regardless whether I want to use it or not. Any ideas? I checked the Windows Live Messenger's settings but found nothing. Btw, I use IE 8 and I'm running...

Had a tour in europe but your from outside europe [ 5 Answers ]

Anyone here had a trip inside europe but your from outside europe. Like me I'm from the philippines. I want to have a tour inside europe but I don't have any idea of the requirements required. What I only have is my passport. What else do I need? I don't have work here in the philippines so I think...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 2 Answers ]

What are rules for filing

To Live In Europe? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a US citizen, trying desperately to move abroad. I have a 4yr old child and no set career as of yet. How would I go about living and working as a duel citizen in Europe or the surrounding areas? I'm very interested in settling in the general region. What is the level of difficulty for a...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search