Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashamed1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Theft under 5000
    I am a 19 year old female, university student from Canada and I have recently done the most stupid thing. I shoplifted $49.05 of alcohol from an LCBO and, of course, got caught. I don't even know why I did it, I've never done anything like that EVER in my life, I've never even thought of it! I hardly even drink... in fact I really don't enjoy drinking! I don't know what kind of mindset I was in, I'm usually the one who gets upset at people for stuff like this. As you can see, I am ashamed and thoroughly embarrassed at my actions. So now for the questions...

1) Is it likely I cannot get a criminal record from this?
    2) Am I eligible for an Alternative Measures Program?
    3) I have to get fingerprinted in a couple weeks... is there a way I can avoid that?
    4) If I do get fingerprinted... does that mean I can't go across the Canada/US border?
    5) Since I technically did get arrested... does that go on file right away? Even before trial? My main concern is that I have family in the US that I visit around Christmas time... and I would be devastated if I couldn't go see them. (my trial is in late Janurary)

I'm in such a panic now. I can't believe I've sunk down to this level. I am scared and any help would be very useful.

Thank you,

~Ashamed1
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2009, 11:36 AM

Hello a:

Your questions cannot be answered because the answers are NOT written in stone.. Lots of what is GOING to happen is still in your hands.

Consequently, hire a lawyer. He'll be able to answer your questions knowing the specifics of the case, plus you'll have the added benefit of having him defend you too.

In general, you only have an arrest record right now. That won't prevent you from travel across the border. Of course, you'll TRY to avoid a conviction. That's what the lawyer is about.

You'll probably be eligible for a diversion program where, if completed successfully, won't result in a criminal record. No, you won't be able to stop them from taking your fingerprints.

Relax. You'll live.

excon
    ashamed1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 04:47 PM

Ok so say I won't have a criminal record... there are still arrest records right? Is there a way to get rid of these?? (get rid in the sense that they won't show up going across the border etc)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2009, 05:44 PM

) Is it likely I cannot get a criminal record from this?

Most likely no, if this is your first offense, most will offer you a diversion program

2) Am I eligible for an Alternative Measures Program?

Yes you should be but you need to have your attorney speak to them about it

3) I have to get fingerprinted in a couple weeks... is there a way I can avoid that?

No, that is just part of getting arrested, they have to make sure you are not some dangerous escaped prisoner.

4) If I do get fingerprinted... does that mean I can't go across the Canada/US border?\

No it only means that you can and will be able to be ID by fingerprinted in the future

5) Since I technically did get arrested... does that go on file right away?

Yes, the police have this on record

Even before trial? My main concern is that I have family in the US that I visit around Christmas time... and I would be devastated if I couldn't go see them. (my trial is in late Janurary)

The "arrest" has no bearing on your travel, even a minor conviction will not have much effect

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft over $5000 [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine had a trailer stolen from Calgary, Alberta and the trailer has been found by the police in British Columbia. The bad guy has been charged with theft and we are wondering what the punishment could be if he is found guilty? K

Theft Under $5000 [ 5 Answers ]

Probably the most idiotic decision I have ever made. On Halloween a friend and I were shopping around our mall gathering items for our costumes, He was in Sears with a pair of suspenders and a scarf which we were going to use. When I came to meet him he handed me the items, and in a blank...

Theft Under $5000 [ 1 Answers ]

I am 17 years old living in Ottawa, ON, and have been informed by my previous employer that they are taking their case to the cops regarding stolen electronics totaling over $5000. They said I am the prime suspect, but only have evidence regarding two of the products. I didn't take everything they...

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

View more questions Search