Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gryffwalker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 02:23 PM
    MS Word Text alignment weirdness
    Whenever I change the alignment of a line of text (like a heading) in MS Word (v.X) for Mac, Word automatically changes the alignment of the paragraph BEFORE the heading to the same alignment. If I centre the Heading, the last paragraph before it centres. If I change the paragraph back to Left Alignment, the following Heading also changes back to Left Alignment (even if there is a page break between them).

Is there a way to turn this "feature" off?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2006, 02:10 PM
    There may be a couple of reasons for this. I don't do MACs, but I don't think it would be different.

One possibility is that the style setup you for the paragraph is tied to the preceding one so both get changed. Another possibility is that there might not be a new paragraph separating the two, only a line break.

Word is a very paragraph centric word proc. So you need to be aware of where paragraphs really end. For this reason, I always set Word to display paragraph marks. This is done under Tools>Options>View.
    Gryffwalker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 02:13 PM
    Thanks, Dale.

I think you are right about the Paragraph set-up. I found a work-around. By adding a carriage return <CR> after the last character (".") in the previous paragraph, Word would allow me to then change the alignment of the Sub-head, without affecting the previous section.

I assume that this additional <CR> makes Word think that it is a new paragraph and thus allows me to change the set-up.

Gryffwalker

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MS WORD loss of text [ 2 Answers ]

I have lost the first five pages of a 30-page document, probably when 'somebody' put an object on the keyboard. I discovered the problem later and can only assume that the 'backspace' or 'delete' was pressed. Can anybody tell me if it is possible to recover the lost text from my hard disk please?...

'WORD' -- can you save text you highlight [ 5 Answers ]

Into a separate file? Maybe split screen with new file? Would really help me out -- Am reviewing very long pdf file ( svaed as word). Any help much appreciated!

Adding a word and its meaning to Word Dictionary [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I know how to add a word to the existing system dictionary in MS Office 2002. Now I need to know how to add a meaning to the new word which I added into the dictionary. Can anyone suggest the procedure. Thanks in advance. SAI

Scanning text into a Word XP document [ 4 Answers ]

My professor needs to have her published economics instructor's manual scanned into a Word document . What scanner and software is capable of doing this? The office has an old HP ScanJet 4C flatbed scanner. Thanks.

View more questions Search