Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robanderin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Cable size for 200 amp/600 foot run
    My friend is building two small homes on a hill 600' away from his inlaws orchard that has a 400 service panel for the pumps. He wants 200a underground the 600' then split to two 100a services for each home. Someone came out and ran 1awg in a two inch conduit. Nit that I'm a electrician or anything but that seams fairly small for that distance. Am I wrong to think it should at least be 3copper or 4alum?

Has a meeting with the guy this week and looking for ammo to prove him wrong

Thanks
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 29, 2009, 10:39 AM

1awg is WAY to small for 200A even at 10', let alone 600'.

600' is pretty much to far for any 120/240v service/feeder. You really should jump to high voltage then back down to 12/240v.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp main breaker contact clearance Regarding a Generator [ 9 Answers ]

I have wired a generator into my 200amp breaker box. The generator power enters the box via a 50 amp breaker. My local utility representative tells me that the 200 amp main breaker does not have enough clearance to safely isolate my generator from the power grid. He is telling me that there...

Installing 200 amp disconnect switch below meter - options [ 7 Answers ]

I am about to have power connected to a house but have noticed the jacket on the service entrance cable is starting to fray. I was looking at the possibility of installing a disconnect switch below the meter and running new wire from the disconnect switch to the main panel. Can I install a...

Cable size [ 1 Answers ]

what is maen 1x3x10 mm2 single phase?

Cable size [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6.3kw hob for my kitchen, what is the smallest size twin and earth cable I can use to supply power to it?

What size of cable suitable_ 40 Amps, 250'/ 200'? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello- I would like some information on wire AWG and grounding requirements with regards to generators. I set up remotely located mineral exploration camps in BC Canada- I am not an electrician... but would like to have some general information, and have an interest in electrical. Our camps...

View more questions Search