Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andre2006 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 01:06 PM
    Collections Hospital Debt
    I have a $22.351 hospital bill (no insurance) and I have a judgement against me. I live in New York. It was recently possed to me that I could get them (lawyers) to settle for half of this amount with payments made each month until it's gone. How realistic is this scenario? Would they really settle for for half? OR is Bankruptcy the obvious way to handle this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2006, 01:12 PM
    If you have no other assest nor the prospect of gaining them, they might settle under the concept of half a loaf is better than none.. Doesn't hurt to ask.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 10, 2006, 06:08 PM
    Hospitals will often take 1/4 off if you just ask them. Without insurance you don't get any bill adjustments. Your 22,000 bill may have been reduced by a large percent by a contract with an insurance company. ( had you had insurance)

I have not paid my hosptial bill or x-ray or medical tests bills in full ever. ( that I can remember) I wait for them to bill and ask to settle in full for a smaller amount ( I have 100 success rate in it) now I do pay in full, not on payments)

But yes even without an attorney it is posssible to ask for that and get it.
    velvetjones Posts: 78, Reputation: 11

Nov 20, 2006, 12:18 PM
    Some hospitals will write off costs altogether, have financial assistance programs, etc, if you can, I would contact the patient finance folks at the hospital if you really can't afford to pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt in collections [ 10 Answers ]

OK... this question may have already been asked, but forgive me I am new to this site and also I would like an opinion on my own situation not someone else's... lol Ok so I have a credit card debt of $684.00 and has now been turned over to collections. Now I have heard some people say I should...

Daughter in hospital [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, Yesterday my 15 yr old daughter attempted suicide and thank God, was unsuccessful. My question is this... How do I talk to her or treat her when I go see her? I honestly can't say that would be before next week, as I just can't even consider going anywhere near the hospital yet. I'm...

Hospital bills [ 5 Answers ]

undefinedundefinedundefined My hubby suffered a heart attack in August, 04. We had health insurance but our hospital co-pay is 4 grand. We never received a bill from the hospital. In the winter we lost our heat for 4 days and became sick & a very mean, ignorant young lady from a collection...

View more questions Search