Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kritvarma Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 07:47 PM
    w-9 certification
    Hi
    I am on H1-B and resident alien. I want to exercise the stock options awarded to me by my company. But before I sell, I have been asked to submit W-9. Am I subject to backup withholding?
    I wasn't sure if I could certify W-9 that I am not subject to 28% backup withholding.
    Is backup withholding same as tax?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Nov 30, 2009, 01:29 AM

On your W-9 you will also check 'exempt payee' unless you know that you are already in trouble with the IRS with under paid taxes.
    If you check "exempt payee," the payment will not be subject to backup withholding.

Nov 30, 2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks. Could you clarify? Are you saying that all resident aliens on H1-B are NOT subject to backup withholding for stocks and shares unless IRS has already informed them that they have underpaid taxes or dividends? Is backup withholding different from state/federal taxes deducted from the sale of shares?
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Nov 30, 2009, 12:51 PM

If you are resident in America by substantial presence (and it sounds like you are) you fill out the W9 and insert your SS number and check the box for "exempt payee" as MukatA has instructed. You send that form to your broker. NO TAX WILL BE WITHHELD. Of course you must report and pay tax on that gain or any dividends at your marginal rate.

When you return to your own country, and if you maintain a brokerage account in America, and if you sell some stock at a gain, there will be no tax at all on that gain in the US, and tax will be withheld at the treaty specified rate for any dividends you receive (generally 15%).

In that case you will provide your broker with a Form W8-BEN.

Nov 30, 2009, 09:31 PM

Thanks MukatA and Five Rings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Certification course ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Friends, I am working in a Networking tech support sector. I completed my ccna recently. Further my plan is to complete CCNProuting. But one of my friend is advising to do CCIE (Routing & Switching ) which itself covers the topics from CCNP in depth. Will it works..

Is diamond certification necessary/which certification is best? [ 5 Answers ]

I’ve been researching diamonds for engagement rings, and I keep seeing different certifications. What certifications should I be looking for, and what are the advantages of buying a certified diamond?

Felony Certification [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who is a resident of New York and has a felony record. He is an experienced plumber and wants to get certification. What should he do?

Certification Tips [ 7 Answers ]

I'm currently studying for my MCSA certification, then moving on to MCSE. I'm also planning on getting my Network+, A+, and CCNA certifications. I currently have (just recently obtained) the MCP and MCDST from Microsoft, and SCA from HDI. What other certs would you recommend, and what yould...

View more questions Search