Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    All63 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 04:34 PM
    Why I can pull the cord on my generac generator
    I recently bough this used generator. It started a few times with no problem. This generator has an electric start that doesn't work. The other day I push the button and made a grinding noise. Today I try to start it but I can't pull the cord, it gets stuck. I remove the 4 screws that holds the wheel for the cord and in it's own, I can pull the cord all the way out. I noticed that 2 little metal bars come out of the wheel when I pull the cord. I screw back the wheel but the cord get stuck again. It seems to me that wherever those 2 metal clips are trying to pull with them, is what is getting stuck. Any ideas on how can I fix it?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 28, 2009, 04:39 PM

Grinding noise sounds like starter and crankshaft gears are not meshing and have jammed crank shaft. Remove starter.
    All63 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 04:45 PM

Do you think that when I remove the started, I will be able to pull the cord?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 28, 2009, 05:06 PM

Yes, that should solve your problem
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2009, 06:40 PM

The gear on top of the starter is probably plastic. It's designed to fail. It probably has.

I am familiar with the little fingers. Make sure they open and retract easily. They extend when you pull the cord and retract when you release it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Generac 7550 EXL Generator - Motor Runs - no power [ 3 Answers ]

The unit quit putting power out motor runs I am getting 4-5 volts out of the receptacles I took the cover off the end unplugged the connector from the windings to the control panel and got 1.5 - 2.5 volts out of each lead (4 total) I checked for continuity between the leads and have it between...

Snowblower won't start, made bad noise using electric, pull cord now hard to pull. [ 7 Answers ]

I tried to start my snowblower today and it wouldn't start. I decided to try the electric start, plugged it in, hit the start button and all it made was a spinny grinding noise. Unplugged it, and tried to start it manually with pull cord again. The cord would not pull without lots of effort and...

Pull cord won't pull on Murray 2.0 mower [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Murray/Briggs 6.0 engine mower and the pull cord is sticking. It will stop after pulling about 4 inches. Then if I jiggle the pull cord it will extend another 4 inches. I can see a plastic piece that seems to be stopping it at every four inches. What is causing this and what is the repair...

Generac generator starting problems [ 1 Answers ]

My generator turns over constantly but won't start. What could be the problem?

Lawnmower pull cord won't pull [ 1 Answers ]

When I tried to start my mower by pulling the cord, it wouldn't budge. Nothing I did made it move an inch. What happened and how can I fix it? :(

View more questions Search