Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coolhandluke31 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Recessed lights- Would you run a separate line?
    I want to have 6 recesssed lights installed in a living room ceiling. In some areas of the house I experience slight brown outing. (150 amp service, turn a hair dryer on, the lights dim for a second. So when the installer told me he would tap the hall light for the 3 hot wire, I told him I didn't want that, and I wanted the lights on its on line and circuit. There is walkable attic space above and a chase down to the basement where the breaker is. Its isn't hard to do.

I don't want to do something that contributes to browning. I also run into issues with the breakers. In the kitchen, every plug and light is on its own breaker. Yet everything in the living room, plugs and lights are on the same breaker. To me its conveniece to be able to shut a breaker off to change plugs and still have light without running a 50 foot exension cord through the house.

I am told this is overkill for 6 lights, but as I see it, if I am willing to pay $50 for 30 feet of romex, why not.

What would an expert do?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 27, 2009, 10:06 PM

Its not about the wire, its about the labor of getting the cable from the panel to the attic. If you have a chase it should not be that difficult.
    Fifty dollars should get you a 250' role of 14/2. If you are willing to pay for the labor, have it your way. That's also the I would want it.
    With a 150 amp service you should not be having brown outs from a hair dryer, you must have a bad connection in that circuit.

Golden Rule: "He who has the gold makes the rules"

Nov 27, 2009, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the info. Running the line shouldn't be a problem. I offered to feed it through the attic down the chase if it helped. Not sure why this was a problem for the guy.

I am not sure at certain times certain things brown. There is GFI circuit in the bathroom. It is over the kitchen with 4 GFI circuits. Wacky way to have wired it if you ask me. But am not an expert.

Nov 28, 2009, 05:03 AM

If you are willing to pull the wire to the panel why don't you just do the job yourself. It ain't that hard. Only other questionable part is getting a wire down the wall to where you want the switch.
    While you are at it, you could pull a 12-2 cable to the attic and come down the wall to the bath and put the bath on a separate circuit like it should be.

I notice that you said installer, not electrician. Is the guy an electrician?

Nov 28, 2009, 08:37 AM

Poor choice of words on my part. To me, running a wire to the area, down the chase and to the breaker box is easy and hassle free. Cutting 6 even circles and setting cans in the ceiling and wiring them and having them not look like I did it is more of a challenge for me! For me it is worth paying someone who can do it faster and better than I can.

The person I will probably use is in fact a licensed electrician.

This person will not be back filling insulation. I assume that with IC cans, I will be safe laying the owens corning unfaced R-30 stuff that comes in the pink perforated sleeves over them. I plan to cut a circle in layer 1 so there isn't too much weight pushing down on the can, then roll the second layer over so I don't lose my heat through the lights.

You have a idea with the bathroom. It would be really easy to run a single line up there. The electrician told me he doesn't hook up any lines to a breaker he didn't run himself. I get a little shaky hand dealing a breaker box. I don't to get fried.

Nov 28, 2009, 02:02 PM

I think you need another electrician. He doesn't want to run the line and doesn't want to connect any one he doesn't pull. Sounds like he wants to do it the easy way and collect big bucks at the same time. As far as cutting the holes in the ceiling, that's a piece of cake. Your light fixtures will probably come with a paper template with you can use to draw a circle, cut out with a key hole or drywall saw. Doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, just don't make to big. Lights have a trim piece that covers the edge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you run 14AWG wires off a 12AWG line? [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a new house and was repairing a broken wire that I found in the basement. The broken wire was 12AWG and runs directly off a 20amp breaker. When I opened the junction box, I found that, the 12AWG line splits into two other lines (one goes to a light in the basement, and one goes...

How do I wire 6 recessed lights to 1 dimmer switch with 12-3 power and 12-2 to lights [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire 6 recessed lights to 1 dimmer switch with 12-3 power wire source and 12-2 to between the 6 lights and then using 12-2 witing to the single pole switch?--need your help please

Recessed Lights [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to add some recessed lights above our couch. How to connect power to them when there is a second floor?

Recessed lights [ 3 Answers ]

I am putting can lights in the basement. I can't decied whether or not to put drywall on the ceiling or this new drop ceiling its made of pvc it attaches right to the floor joists and the tiles clip in. you lose 1 inch. The confusing part is how do I put the can in to make up that inch or will the...

Recessed lights [ 7 Answers ]

Good morning everyone. Started project installing 4 recessed lights in family room. I am running a dedicated circuit just for the lights, composed of 12/2 with ground 20amp breaker And 1 switch My question is the switch is a single pole rated at 15 amp, is this switch safe and OK to use,...

View more questions Search