Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcss Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 09:26 AM
    Wiring basement lighting
    I am wiring a basement for ceiling lights. I have not purchased fixtures yet and we want submerged lighting. My basement is rather small and I have decided to put up 8 fixtures and they will be switched on and off with (2) 3way switches one at top of stairs one at bottom. They breaker panel is new and has lots of expansion roon. The panel is within 20' of the switches and lighting. What size/type wire would you recommend? What size breaker? And can these 2 switches handle all eight light fixtures or what size fixture/bulb can they handle?
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Nov 10, 2006, 09:44 AM
    I'm assuming that you mean recessed lighting an not submerged (unless you basement floods a lot ;) ). You can use 14-2 NM-B (romex) with a 15A breaker. The cable should be run through holes in the joists when perpendicular or stapled to the side when parallel. The cable should not come within 1-1/4" from either edge of the joists.

The maximum size and type of bulb is determined by the fixtures used. There is usually a label on the fixture's can that tells what bulbs and trim can be used with it.

Most standard 3-way switches will more than handle 8 fixtures, however if you use a dimmer switch you have to make sure that you get one that is rated high enough. Many dimmers are rated at 600W, but you can get higher rated ones. Just add up the wattages of all of the bulbs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm currently wiring my basement soon which is about 1000 square feet. It will include a family room, a bedroom and a bathroom. I currently have one 15 amp 14/3 circuit running down there connected to one circuit breaker from the main panel. I've calculated that I need a total of 2 15 amp...

Wiring basement [ 2 Answers ]

I am wiring a finished basement. The problem is the main panel is in the Gar 200a service. This is abour 65 ' away from the finished basment. I was going to run 2 20 amp breakers for the basement room.. it will have lites, frig, entert. Center etc. My question is I want to run a 50 amp...

Conduit requirements for basement wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing a basement with stud wall and dry wall. Is there any need for conduit to carry the wires behind the dry wall? I know for an unfinished basement wiring below grade must be in conduit but must it if the walls are finished? Thanks Dschaar

Basement wiring cost [ 1 Answers ]

I know this a very vague question, but ball park figure, how much should it cost to have a professional electrician fully wire a basement being finished? I was quoted $1700 and thought it was very high?

Basement wiring (question of separate circuits) [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I will be wiring my basement soon (about 1400sqf) with one family/TV room, a bedroom, an office and a bathroom. They ran only one 15AMP circuit that currently operates basement lights (8 of them) and 2 GFI outlets. They also put each bedroom upstairs on a separete circuit breaker with a...

View more questions Search