Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wardas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2009, 08:44 AM
    free help with linear equation with 3 variables
    A theatre has 700 seats. The orchestra seats sell for $40 each, the main seats sell for $25 each, and the balcony seats seel for $20 each. When all orchestra, main, and balcony seats are sold, the theatre collects $18,450. When half the orchestra seats and all the main and balcony seats sell, then the theatre collects 15,650. How many orchestra, main, and balcony seats are available?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 27, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to copy your homework to AMHD.
    Please refer to this announcement: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/financ...-b-u-font.html
    wardas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2009, 09:03 AM

Curlyben:

I definitely have attempted this. I am coming up in circles. I solved for o(orchestra) first to come up with o = 700 -m -b. Then I substituted o with the above equation to solve for b (trying to get the equation into two variables). My answer came to b=477.5 - .75m. Then, I solved for m (main seats) which came to m = 839.58. I AM LOST since there are only 700 seats to begin with (m cannot possibly be 839.58). So, as you can see you have no worries that I have not tried this one.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2009, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wardas View Post
    A theatre has 700 seats. The orchestra seats sell for $40 each, the main seats sell for $25 each, and the balcony seats seel for $20 each. When all orchestra, main, and balcony seats are sold, the theatre collects $18,450. When half the orchestra seats and all the main and balcony seats sell, then the theatre collects 15,650. How many orchestra, main, and balcony seats are available?
    Let O=# of orchestra seats, M=# main seats. B=# balcony seats.

Then, we have three equations with three unknowns.

The third constraint says that when 'half' the orchestra seats are sold, That would be O/2.

Which leaves 40(O/2)=20O in the third equation.

Solve away.
    mathwiz3502 Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 06:10 AM

The difference between equation 2 and 3 is
    20o and 2800
    so
    20o=2800
    so
    o=140
    take out of first equation
    m+b=560
    and 3rd equation
    25m+20b=12850
    which makes m=330 and b=230 and o=140

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

System of linear equations in 3 variables [ 4 Answers ]

This question bugs me. I don't know how to get started. The teacher gave us a chart. We have to do 3 things. 1. define 3 variables 2.write system of linear equations in 3 variables relating to known quantities and variables. 3.solve for the variables the chart was for dress shirts,dress...

Simultaneous linear equations in two variables [ 3 Answers ]

5x+3y=2 2x+y=1 how to do it in the easy way?

Simultaneous Linear Equations in two variables [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone show me step-by-step how I solve this equation please x+2/5 - 9-x/3 = y-6/4 - 1st Equation x+2- 2x+y/8 = x+13/4 - 2nd Equation Thanks

Linear equalities in two variables [ 2 Answers ]

5x>-20

Linear Equations in two and three variables [ 1 Answers ]

I am supposed to write a word problem from day to day life that can be translated into a linear equation in two and another problem that can be translated into a linear equation in three variables.

View more questions Search