Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwest1939 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 08:32 AM
    GFI Outlet
    Will a GFI outlet provide proper protection if it is installed in an existing 2-wire, 120 VAC electrical system?
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Nov 10, 2006, 08:47 AM
    Yes. In fact code allows you to replace a 2-prong receptacle with a GFI as long as it is marked "No Equipment Ground." GFI outlets usually come with a sticker that says this.

The GFI senses faults in the grounded (neutral) conductor, not the grounding (equipment ground) conductor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfi outlet [ 6 Answers ]

I just moved into the house in May. I believe the gfi outlet was working when the inspector inspected our house, but it seemed soon after it stopped working. We tried to press the reset button just in case the test button was pressed and nothing happens (meaning it won't depress or anything). Just...

GFI Outlet Trips [ 4 Answers ]

We have an exterior GFI outlet that started continually tripping and then quit altogether. We installed a new one but it also is tripping frequently. Anyone have any suggestions please.

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

GFI outlet vs girlfriend breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a difference functionally between a GFI outlet and a GFI breaker? I am installing a jetted tub in the basement. The water pump has the two loose wires (+ground) and indicates the connection to be made in junction box and be protected by a GFI. A GFI for my type breaker is $300. I had...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search