Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockyt Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 07:05 AM
    Can I make an inside light work outside
    We recently bought a large Gazebo, and the display in the store had it with a nice chandeler hanging from it. So I thought I would do the same, however when I bought one I was afraid of water accedently getting in it so I bought one that has the lights facing the ground opposed to facing up(dont know if that makes a difference or not ? ) any way I assembeled it got up on the ladder hooked on the hook and looped the 6 foot wire ( which it about 8 ft to short) through the suuplied chain for decoritive porposes and realized DUH!! I need to plug it in!! This is for inside and it gets connected to the wires in the ceiling. Did I buy the wrong kind of light? Can I splice some wire with a plug at the end of it?

Thanks!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2006, 07:08 AM
    Yes, if the chandelier has bare wires meant to be wired into a fixture you can just get a plug and connect the wires to the plug, then plug it in. You might want to consider running a wire from the plug into a fixture instead.

Nov 10, 2006, 07:22 AM
    Thank you. Do you see the weather causing any kind of problems? And what fixture would I connect it to if its outside?

Nov 10, 2006, 07:27 AM
    The chandelier probably came with a plate with a hook on it for the chain. That plate was designed to connect to a fixture that normally is recessed into the ceiling. You can get a plastic one to avoid corrosion. Then paint it to match the ceiling or use moldings to hide it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2006, 07:27 AM
    Any fixture installed outdoors, when installed under a roof, needs to be rated for "Damp Locations"
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Nov 10, 2006, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Any fixture installed outdoors, when installed under a roof, needs to be rated for "Damp Locations"
    I disagree (not with the rule but I consider 'inside the Gazebo' to be an inside installation). I take 'under a roof' and not meaning a fixture under a ceiling but a fixture under eaves. I would install on a GFI receptacle or breaker (which should already be done). I have a similar installation with no problems (and it's beside a lake).

There's no romatics in a weatherproof fixture!
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2006, 09:02 AM
    Bhayne,

Being a AHJ, that is your call for your jurisdiction. Clearly is up to you what to allow and what not allow. All I am saying is this is the facts.

Following is an excerpt from Underwriters Laboratories, found at:

http://www.ul.com/regulators/ode/0803.pdf

A damp location is a location, either exterior or interior, that is normally or periodically subject to condensation of moisture in, on or adjacent to the luminaire. Article 100 states these are locations often protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but may be subject to moderate degrees of moisture. These could include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches and some basements, barns and cold-storage facilities, such as walk-in coolers, freezers and warehouses.

My interpretation of "moisture" is high humidity, which a Dry Location fixtire may not be properly finished to hold up to, and certainly includes driven rain, again an indoor fixture may not be built to handle, such as weep holes at junction points to allow water to seep out and not collect at splices.

Outdoor lighting is not required to be GFI protected, but by your statement, (which should already be done), implies that this is required.

Just when you need the light, during a rain storm, the GFI senses a ground fault, and trips out, leaving the occupants in the dark, because they used an indoor rated fixture with a GFI.

As far as attractive fixtures rated for Damp Locations, try this manufacturer, that for some reason, pays attention to UL:

http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshowC...election.phtml

And explains about Damp Location;
    http://www.rejuvenation.com/faqnumbe...q/faqshow.html

So perhaps we can at least provide factual information to those seeking information and advice, and if desired by the one providing an answer, also provide any opinions to the topic.

Nov 10, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Mixing apples and oranges. This is not a permanent installation. It has a ceiling receptacle.
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Yes , your typical answer, Mixing apples and oranges. when confronted with the facts.

And, where do you see the words permanent installation. It has a ceiling receptacle. in the original question?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyt
    We recently bought a large Gazebo, and the display in the store had it with a nice chandeler hanging from it. so i thought I would do the same, however when I bought one i was afraid of water accedently getting in it so i bought one that has the lights facing the ground opposed to facing up(dont know if that makes a difference or not ? ) any way I assembeled it got up on the ladder hooked on the hook and looped the 6 foot wire ( which it about 8 ft to short) through the suuplied chain for decoritive porposes and realized DUH!!!!!!!! I need to plug it in!!!! This is for inside and it gets connected to the wires in the cieling. Did I buy the wrong kind of light? Can I splice some wire with a plug at the end of it?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No one is talking about apples and oranges. Is it time for lunch and your having dessert?

This is very simple, and can be illustrated by the following reasonable sequence of events that is likely to occur:

If this installation is in the USA,

And

If the incorrectly UL rated fixture or any electrical component for that matter, is installed in a location that it is not suited for,

And

If there is an injury, loss of life, or loss of property, and a claim is submitted to any insurance carrier,
    And

They do an investigation and find that the loss being claimed is due to the improper application or installation of an electrical device,

The claim will not be allowed.

If anyone would like to experiment and test this statement, be my guest.

Nov 10, 2006, 10:17 AM
    We recently bought a large Gazebo, and the display in the store had it with a nice chandeler hanging from it. so i thought I would do the same, however when I bought one i was afraid of water accedently getting in it so i bought one that has the lights facing the ground opposed to facing up(dont know if that makes a difference or not ? ) any way I assembeled it got up on the ladder hooked on the hook and looped the 6 foot wire ( which it about 8 ft to short) through the suuplied chain for decoritive porposes and realized DUH!!!!!!!! I need to plug it in!!!! This is for inside and it gets connected to the wires in the cieling. Did I buy the wrong kind of light? Can I splice some wire with a plug at the end of it?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe I can clear this up. The gazebo is outside. And it would not be a permanent light all I have to do is un hook it and then un plug it.There is no fixture on top, or receptacle just a hook to hang a light. But it is covered.

Nov 10, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell

My interpretation of "moisture" is high humidity, which a Dry Location fixtire may not be properly finished to hold up to, and certainly includes driven rain.
    Meaning of MOISTURE
    Pronunciation: 'moyschur

WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [n] wetness caused by water; "drops of wet gleamed on the window"

Moisture and Humidity are two different meanings!

Rain and moisture come down, humidity goes up!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2006, 10:31 AM
    snip....

Can I splice some wire with a plug at the end of it?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    On the more serious issues raised here, I would trust tkrussel. Apparently he and the others were too distracted with bigger problems to notice your reference to splicing the wires. Correct me if there is an exception, but I thought splices must be done in boxes. If you need a longer cord, it would be better to open up the fixture and run a single length of wire to where you are going to plug it in.

Nov 10, 2006, 10:36 AM
    A few points. First I would be more inclined to trust TK in these matters.

Second, a splice is not only done in a fixture. A splice can be done to extend a wire. However, in this case, there are plugs where you just need to wrap the wire around a terminal within the plug. I would be liberal in my use of electrical tape around the terminals or splice.

Third, High Humidity can cause condensation which is moisture.

Nov 10, 2006, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Correct me if there is an exception, but I thought splices must be done in boxes.
    A lot of manufactures would be out of business if splices were only permitted in boxes (tons and tons of manufactures make splice kits for exposed wiring).

The problem many electricians is they know code definitions, it's English definitions they have problems with!
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Hmmm , last time I knew, humidity comes from water, and moisture comes from water.

Anyone else see a common thread here?

From Webster On-Line:

Humidity
    Noun

1. Wetness in the atmosphere.

Moisture
    Noun

1. Wetness caused by water; "drops of wet gleamed on the window".

Does "wetness" have two meanings?

But I see that very conveinently you omitted the definition of humidity in your dictionary post.

Very typical of those that may be wrong to ignore facts, twist facts, and fabricate facts, to suit their needs. And then look for little subtle tid-bits to try to attack and re-direct attention from the main topic.

Nov 10, 2006, 11:35 AM
    The code doesn't mention humidity. So why would I make an issue out of nothing!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan light kit won't work [ 1 Answers ]

:( I bought 2 light kits for our lightless ceiling fans and neither will work. We took the black and white wires from the fan labeled "live wires; for light kit" and hooked them up to the wires from the light kit. Black to black; white to white. Nothing works; we redid the wiring with different...

Sonata brake dust make light come on? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2003 HYUNDAI SONATA 6 Cylinders 02656 2.7L MFI DOHC Reciently I replaced the front disc pads.With the inexpensive metal pads. No rotor was replaced. :( Anyway, the caliper must have been dragging, and sent some of the dust airborn, and I see some small metal filings sticking to the...

Bathroom Fan Light Does Not Work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Nutone combination Fan/Light in my bathroom. Out of the blue, the light does not work but the fan still works. There is a separate switch for the fan and another for the light. I checked the bulb and it is OK. I checked the switch and it seems to work. I detected voltage on the hot...

Light won't work on ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I had a ceiling fan installed, and the light on it quit working. I thought there was probably a problem with the light kit, but since I didn't like the fan, I replaced the whole thing with a new fan and light. The fan has always worked, but the light still doesn't. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Ceiling fan light doesn't work [ 2 Answers ]

I have put up many ceiling fans with lights but this is the first time I have put one up without a light and then went and bought a light kit. (By the way there are two switches on the wall, one for the light and one for the fan). The ceiling fan worked perfectly and then I went to put the light...

View more questions Search