Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    561packrat Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 02:10 PM
    Connecting TV audio output to stereo receiver
    I have a Panasonic plasma that I would like to run its audio output through the stereo to try and improve its sound. The TV has only, as far as I can tell, audio output connections at the rear of the TV , adjacent to the sides. These look similar to the connections on the attached speakers. Just small gauge wire capacity, spring loaded clips. I don't see any other output ports. I tried making up some inputs to the stereo using RCA plugs connected to these connections on the back of the Tv But it seems like it's causing some kind of feedback or interference. Produces sound , but very distorted.
    Do I need some sort of pre-amp or other device to make this work?
    Other components have been successfully connected to the stereo, but this one has me perplexed.The TV is a 2004 model and it doesn't appear that it is home theater or stereo capable.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2009, 02:32 PM

You're probably correct -- it isn't stereo capable.

The connectors that are intended to go to the speakers are not the proper voltage to go into a stereo (1V peak-to-peak). There may be something on the market to drive it, but I'm thinking probably not (someone will pop in and tell you if I'm not correct -- I'm sure of that). You could run the signal through an audio transformer and amplifier, if you know how to do that.
    561packrat Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 04:19 PM

Thanks Perito,
    My level of ability is limited , I can follow instructions to plug components together and make up the proper connections but not much beyond that. It's along the lines of recognizing my limitations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting stereo receiver to 50" plasma panasonic TCP50X1 [ 26 Answers ]

I have a stereo receiver with no optical digital audio cable connection. How can I connect it to my Panasonic TCP50X1? The guy at panasonic said I could try going through a VCR??

Where do I plug audio in to get audio out only to speaker b on receiver [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to set up a zone 2 on my AV receiver. I have speaker output RCA jacks for Speaker A and Speaker B and a front switch to toggle between the two. How do I set up an audio input that will go only to Speaker B when it is activated? There is only audio in for DVD, VCR, CD, etc and...

Add remote control to existing NAD stereo receiver? [ 7 Answers ]

Unit works great, but it doesn't have remote control, does not appear to have provision for one. This wouldn't be a problem but my wife is recuperating from breaking her knee. She wasn't interested in my solution,( 10' cane pole w/crutch tip). I noticed in the owner's manual that there is a...

What to use for contact cleaner for stereo receiver? [ 4 Answers ]

My home stereo speakers are sometimes fuzzy and can be fixed by twisting the speaker balance knob back and forth quickly a few times. I think the contacts need cleaning (does this sound logical?). If so, is this difficult to do? How should this be done (it doesn't seem as though it should be too...

Hooking up TV,DVD video recorder, stereo receiver, and dish [ 1 Answers ]

I have a panasonic Tv, Dish, Sony stereo receiver and now trying to add a DVD video recorder... PLEASE HELP. Directions don't seem to be to confusing and I thought I followed them...

View more questions Search