Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eprophe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 12:39 PM
    Do I need to use an UL Listed Liner for my chimney?
    I was told that I need a new liner for my chimney. I have received 2 different quotes. One is 20% higher because the contractor says that he uses a UL listed liner while the other one is not. Is it necessary to have a UL listed liner or is it a marketing ploy?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 02:08 PM

If you want to have a chimney fire, then go right ahead and use the cheaper stuff. Many years ago I had a chimney fire due to the chimney not being properly cleaned out. Chimney fires get extremely hot due to the creosote build up along the insides of the chimney wall.

If you want, get another estimate. Or get better insurance to cover your home in case of a chimney fire if you opt to use the cheaper stuff.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 02:45 PM
    Best to check with your local code office. UL Listed would be best, UL Listed is required for all electrical material, not sure about specific building codes, as there are several.

Checking with your ins agent would be good too, perhaps a deduct could be available if UL Listed, or you otherwise eliminate risk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need a chimney liner when I install an 80% gas furnace that has a clay chimmney? [ 13 Answers ]

Do I need a chimney liner when I install an 80% gas furnace that has a clay chimmney?

Chimney Liner [ 1 Answers ]

I've been told I have to get a chimney liner. Have an 8" opening on burner.. one company said i need a 7" liner, and another said a 6" liner... I'm concerned about safey and health. Please advise what I should do. Grateful.

Chimney Liner Needed? [ 8 Answers ]

We have a 1922 house with a chimney that goes through the center (no fireplace). I had the furnace inspected (furnace and water heater new in 2001) and it turned out fine. But, the guy said that our water heater tube and furnace tube need to connect and feed into a big hole in the chimney - then...

Can I use a liner in a metalbestos chimney for wood stove? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a friend who just bought a cottage with an old airtight wood stove. This stove has an 8" flue, with double wall black pipe to the 8" stainless Selkirk metalbestos chimney. I believe the chimney is about 25 years old, but looks to be clean and in good shape. The stove burns well as she...

Is a chimney liner necessary? [ 5 Answers ]

We will be installing a new mid-efficiency furnace and air-conditioner. We are told that we will need a chimney liner. The old furnace is still using the chimney, but the new furnace will have a vent going out to the side of the house and the only appliance that will still utilize the old chimney...

View more questions Search