Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 12:30 PM
    MRSA from computer keyboard
    Wall Street Journal said the main spread of MRSA in hospitals is nurses putting data into computer then reinfecting when they use the computer again. They said only disinfectant works but the germs have penetrated into the computer in time.

Computer Filth: Computer Bacteria & Workstation Germs
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 12:39 PM
    Well we've had computer keyboards for about 35 years now and typewriters have existed for about 100 years, along with doorknobs and other widely touched implements. I think we're going to live. :)
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 12:45 PM

The article is saying that is WHY/how MRSA is worse in hospitals. It is hard to disinfect computer keyboards because it can ruin the computer. Non electronic typewriters and door knobs can be more easily disinfedcted.
    We may live but that isn't helping the people that are effected by MRSA because of a hospital stay.

The American Medical Association's journal, reported that there were an estimated 18,650 MRSA deaths in the U.S. in 2005. An average of 20, MRSA deaths are reported each year.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Nov 25, 2009, 01:19 PM

Any medical cleaning has to be completed using the proper chemicals with a kill rate that works. The problem is and has been they (hospitals, clinics, surgery centers, etc) are not being cleaned on a regular basis with the care necessary. A lot of this has been traced to training or lack there of.

You can clean the keyboard and the mouse by using a common sense method. Do not spray directly unto these items and ruin them, spray the cloth and then wipe clean. In most cases a quat cleaner is used.

Obviously all cleaning should be accomplished using a hazardous universal program.

Stringer
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 01:42 PM

I agree Stringer plus with what I see many places do not want to hire enough help. Also like where I work they outfit that is contracted to clean the University keeps saying they are not doing this and that any longer. They sit and watch TV and refuse to do their work.

I think the article is saying that you have to use a disinfectant to get rid of MRSA germs but that the germs get INto your computer deeper than what you can clean.
    I agree putting the cleaner on the cloth is the best way to protect the electronics as much as possible.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 25, 2009, 03:33 PM
    We have cavi wipes that we use to disinfect our keyboards along with many other non-porous surfaces.
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 03:37 PM

Hopefully they are being used more and more everywhere. I think it is a good idea that they are coming up with a new type keyboard to help combat the problem.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 27, 2009, 02:14 PM

They used to use keyboard covers that eliminated that problem. Clear vinyl or nitrile "dust"covers were easily sterilizable. Navy hospitals had sterile computers in the Surgical suite way back in the 70's.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Many Emoticons or Smilies Can You Think Of Just Using Your Computer Keyboard? [ 20 Answers ]

Here's some that I can think of using. I'm just looking for those that you can make by using the keyboard that don't become any sort of character that has any color and shape. I've disabled the smilies in this post to enable demonstrating that. You might want to do the same. I know that...

Keyboard won't turn computer on when in stand by mode [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I added a new keyboard called an eclipse to my emachine. When I put the computer into standby mode and go to turn it back on... it won't do it. Instead I have to push the tower button and then it says "NO VGA SIGNAL". The computer turns on... but am wondering why keyboard won't do it? ...

Keyboard use freezes computer [ 2 Answers ]

:mad: I'm sick and tired of using my on screen keyboard. Please help! If I press any keyboard button or sound button on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop it freezes the computer up. Before Windows starts I can use the keyboard because I'm able to get into the set up and all, but not after windows has...

Cat Peeing on computer keyboard [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having problems with my 14 month old, neutered himalayan/persian male cat. I noticed he began on anything in the house right after we had him neutered. He might have been doing this previously, but I don't think so. We took him to the vet this past January to have him checked for...

Computer Keyboard Shortcuts [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to know where I can print a list of the shortcuts for the number keyboard, eg: alt+64 gives you @ and alt+63 gives you a? Is there somewhere that I can print out all of the short cuts, as I am currently working with a French keyboard, and need to know where all of these...

View more questions Search