Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Visiting after delivering
    I have quite a few friends who are pregnant/have just delivered and it occurred to me:

When is an appropriate time to visit someone in the hospital after they give birth?

If they deliver in the morning, is the same night too soon? Is that meant to be time for the parents and their new baby? Should you wait until the next day? Is there a specific time that's best to visit?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 24, 2009, 05:24 PM
    Early afternoon visiting hours are best and be prepared to wait until after feeding. If Mom was up all night with delivery, the following afternoon would be too soon. Unfortunately, the next day may be during discharge the way insurance wants them out asap.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2009, 07:17 PM
    My feeling is that hospital stays for deliveries are so short, usually mothers prefer visitors not come to the hospital at all. Many of my friends didn't even want relatives to come to the hospital much less friends because they wanted rest, some privacy and a chance to make the most of the limited time they had there to get help learning to care for themselves and the baby once they get home.

Even when the mother is a sister or best friend to me, I ask before coming whether they want me to come to the hospital or to wait to visit later. I've had mixed responses except that they always appreciate being asked. And wherever I visit, I ask what they'd like to eat and bring lunch from some place the new parents enjoy - I can't tell you how well appreciated this simple, inexpensive gesture is.
    omgtoast Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Dec 2, 2009, 12:04 PM

>>>I have a similar situation coming up with my friend's Baby Chevy due any day now. :D

This might vary depending on the parents: My experience (not personal experience, I mean what I've seen happen in my social circle... haha) has been that Mom, Dad and Baby want privacy to begin with-- only siblings, grandparents, or godparents are allowed to visit at first-- sometimes for up to two weeks (depending on health, etc). After that time, the rest of the family and friends begin to trickle in and out, but before then all time is spent holed up in private. They need to rest. They need to get used to a new routine. They need to form a bond with Baby.

I would say that unless you were requested to come to the hospital, stay away. Ask Mom and Dad when you could see the Baby, or wait for their invitation. In the meantime, give a phone call or a letter, send an Edible Arrangement, and wish them well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think my very young cat is having problems delivering kitten [ 2 Answers ]

Need advice on helping cat give bith, she's just laying down and conrtracting a pushing for over 12 hrs now, last night around 10pm she had a small bubble sack hanging out and it popped and that was the end of that, Is a kitten stuck in her canal what can I do to help?

He's visiting. [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, so my very first post on here was about a guy who lives very far away from me... and comes back to visit a lot. Well, he's coming back tomorrow, and I'm not quite sure what to expect because last I heard he wasn't too happy with me because people were spreading rumors about me making...

Visiting with dog [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, well yesterday me and my mom went to town to visit an old neighbour of ours at a nursing home. When I was walking in I noticed a sign that said, all visiting dogs must be on a leash, now some of you might remember, some might not but a few months ago, I was looking into getting my dog trained...

Am I ready for the pain of delivering a baby? [ 8 Answers ]

My Husband And I Have Been Married For Six Months. We Were Together For Five Years Before We Got Married. He Is 28 And I Am 25. He Is Ready To Have Children, But I Am Unsure. I Want To Have Kids, But Then I Don't. My Biggest Fear Is The Delivery. I Am Terrified Of It. I Waited To Have Sex...

View more questions Search