Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetcaroline Posts: 74, Reputation: 5

Nov 24, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Where Can I get Herbalinn TESTED for Mercury and Steroids?
    U guys may know about my little fiasco with gluta-c, I just got back from post office, I returned those.
    I have tried so many products out there and the only ones seemed to work whas the benzyarbutin 20% no longer available, and fair & flawless. And lots of pills which I'm tired of. I have stubornly gone back herbalinn again, the new yet seems like original formula in the jar, for 2 days, nights and my skin is paler that it has been in months, today.
    I don't know how long it will last but I find this lightening very instant and would like to get it tested given the rumours about mercury, if its not too expensive. How can I?
    Gr8stuff Posts: 197, Reputation: 8

Nov 24, 2009, 03:01 PM

I have no idea how you can have it tested but I was just checking their list of ingredients on their site and it seems they have Methyl dihydroxybenzoate as one of their actives. And after a quick Google search about this active, I found out that it is the main ingredient in a product called Vivite Vibrance Therapy from Allergen which is specifically for hyperpigmentation.

Also found this:
    According to reports from Allergan, results with Vivité Vibrance Therapy are similar to those from using a 4 percent hydroquinone solution (the highest concentration of hydroquinone available without a prescription). In a company-sponsored eight-week study, two sets of women put Vibrance Therapy on one side of their faces and 4% hydroquinone on the other. In one group, effects with Vivité Vibrance Therapy actually surpassed those of 4% hydroquinone, with 70 percent reduction in hyperpigmentation versus hydroquinone's 63 percent; in the other group, there was a 62 percent reduction for both. Source: Exciting New Ingredient: Methyl Dihydroxybenzoate - Wellsphere

So, now I'm wondering if that was the reason Herbalinn was giving the product away for free for a while... hmmm...

Oh, I just remembered, if you go to the skincare talk forum, there's a member there by the username: "lightenNlift" who has been testing various products for harmful stuff; maybe you can ask him to help you get it tested...
    Golden_Boy Posts: 330, Reputation: 6

Nov 24, 2009, 06:56 PM

I got one while they were giving it free, it still costed $10 though. They also list Cyperus rotundus, that Extrapone nutgrass ingredient in xtendlife

Too bad everything's just 2% oh well at least they seem honest enough to not throw numbers around like 10% to attract and fool people.
    Gr8stuff Posts: 197, Reputation: 8

Nov 25, 2009, 07:17 AM

GB, have you seen any lightening so far??

Nov 27, 2009, 06:07 PM

No, so far I just notice its cleared up some pimple blemishes that's all. I would like to see it tested for HQ and Mono, too. Because I refuse to use anything with hq or its derivates.
    Surely now, the Skin Care Talk forum main member is not the only person who can get products tested?
    I too would like to know what lab and what fee is charged to get a cream tested independently for a few specific ingredients.

Nov 28, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8stuff View Post
    I have no idea how you can have it tested but I was just checking their list of ingredients on their site and it seems they have Methyl dihydroxybenzoate as one of their actives. And after a quick google search about this active, I found out that it is the main ingredient in a product called Vivite Vibrance Therapy from Allergen which is specifically for hyperpigmentation.

Also found this:
    According to reports from Allergan, results with Vivité Vibrance Therapy are similar to those from using a 4 percent hydroquinone solution (the highest concentration of hydroquinone available without a prescription). In a company-sponsored eight-week study, two sets of women put Vibrance Therapy on one side of their faces and 4% hydroquinone on the other. In one group, effects with Vivité Vibrance Therapy actually surpassed those of 4% hydroquinone, with 70 percent reduction in hyperpigmentation versus hydroquinone’s 63 percent; in the other group, there was a 62 percent reduction for both. source: Exciting New Ingredient: Methyl Dihydroxybenzoate - Wellsphere

So, now I'm wondering if that was the reason Herbalinn was giving the product away for free for a while...hmmm...

Oh, I just remembered, if you go to the skincare talk forum, there's a member there by the username: "lightenNlift" who has been testing various products for harmful stuff; maybe you can ask him to help you get it tested...
    Thanks, Great I will look into it.

Nov 28, 2009, 03:31 PM

Sweetcaroline, how did you get results in just 2 days? I have been using it over a week not and don't see any lightening, my skin tone looks a little redder that's all. It does feel cool when I first apply it, and it has cleared away my Makari breakout completely.
    What else do you use?

Nov 30, 2009, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Boy View Post
    Sweetcaroline, how did you get results in just 2 days? I have been using it over a week not and don't see any lightening, my skin tone looks alittle redder that's all. It does feel cool when I first apply it, and it has cleared away my Makari breakout completely.
    What else do you use?
    Well it says it contains titanium dioxide and pearl, which I'm sure gets stuck in the pores even after you wash, so I guess it is that which produces the instant fairness? Its not so dramatic anyway here is the rocky history of herbalinn, as I research online, I don't see any mercury scares until Meladerm came along when a crazy story about kidney failure surfaced. But its always best to be safer than sorry.

ASIAN SKIN WHITENING PRODUCTS

"okay u guys have a problem..first of all.. I used herbalinn and the results were fanatic..the only problem is....the old herbalinn worked better..salha kind is a little watery..also the old herbalinn really cleared up my acne..I used the new one but its not getting rid of my dark acne marks..
    also otentika works but its better for your body because on your face it will cause pimples.
    Hollywood seceret cream really causes my cheeks to look red..
    it works..but i need something that will last..
    any suggestions
    thanks"
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetcaroline View Post
    well it says it contains titanium dioxide and pearl, which im sure gets stuck in the pores even after you wash, so i guess it is that which produces the instant fairness? its not so dramatic anyway here is the rocky history of herbalinn, as i research online, i don't see any mercury scares until Meladerm came along when a crazy story about kidney failure surfaced. but its always best to be safer than sorry.

"okay u guys have a problem..first of all.. I used herbalinn and the results were fanatic..the only problem is....the old herbalinn worked better..salha kind is a little watery..also the old herbalinn really cleared up my acne..I used the new one but its not getting rid of my dark acne marks..
    also otentika works but its better for your body because on your face it will cause pimples.
    any suggestions
    thanks"
    Titanium Dioxide will not lighten or bleach the skin, but it is a common ingredient used in soap, skincare and cosmetics as a white pigment to give the product it's white color, used in sunblock/sunscreen products as it protects against UVA rays, also used in food, paint, vitamins, toothpaste, plastic, etc. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) consider titanium dioxide as "an IARC Group 2B carcinogen and possibly carcinogenic to humans because due to testing done on lab rats, high concentrations of TD inhaled had caused respiratory tract cancer in the rats. But, overall it is considered a safe and it becomes dangerous when the sizes are "ultrafine or nano particles".

http://www.ccohs.ca/headlines/text186.html
    http://www.theorganicmakeupcompany.c...iumdioxide.asp

About the Herbal Inn, I have read several times that the old herbal inn lightened and the new herbal inn does not. So, it was because of it being adulterated with mercury in order to lighten? If so, then I hope they do close their doors... you know FunkyMommy supports the Herbal Inn company and does not like how we speak negative about H.I. benzyl arbutin/mercury issue, its on her blog :s

Nov 30, 2009, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetcaroline View Post
    well it says it contains titanium dioxide and pearl, which im sure gets stuck in the pores even after you wash, so i guess it is that which produces the instant fairness? its not so dramatic anyway here is the rocky history of herbalinn, as i research online, i don't see any mercury scares until Meladerm came along when a crazy story about kidney failure surfaced. but its always best to be safer than sorry.

any suggestions
    thanks"
    Thanks SC I did a lot of asking around of the veterans here and heard in depth about a member Trickshot trying to recreate the original herbalinn with its "shimmery whipped texture" and sending emails out to try to purchase owned domains such as herbalinn and lighterskin.com, but settling for whiterskin and calling the final product Meladerm.
    Regarding Vivite Vibrance Therapy, I have used that in the past but the little 1 ounce bottle finished before I ever saw results. What strikes me is herbalinn is the same color and consistency of the Vivite, but in a jar. Vivite costed $96 for that ounce of cream.

"Methyl dihydroxybenzoate is the latest ingredient from pharmaceutical powerhouse Allergan. Released in Vivité Vibrance Therapy ( $95.00, Amazon.com; MSRP $115.00), methyl dihydroxybenzoate reduces hyperpigmentation by interfering with the actual production of melanin (skin pigment). This is unique because current popular treatments kojic acid, arbutin and hydroquinone work by interfering with the activity of tyrosinase, the rate-limiting enzyme for the biosynthesis of melanin in epidermal melanocytes, according to Dr. Leslie Baumann's text Cosmetic Dermatology. "

Funny you mentioned titanium and pearl, I did noticed in our Thanksgiving video I only saw today, I do look lighter but it is temporary, without the herbalinn on I do not look that light, I seem to look redder than before when I wash it off or after a shower. I hope some of its peculiar other claimed ingredients:
    http://herbalinn.com/products.htm

1. ALOE VERA Octylaloesin 2%
    2. ALPHA ARBUTIN Hydroxyphenyl-a-D-glucopyranoside 2%
    3. ALPHA RESORCYLIC ACID Methyl dihydroxybenzoate 2%
    4. ARTOCARPUS INCISUS Prenyloxyresveratrol 2%
    5. BENZYL ARBUTIN Benzyl-a-D-glucopyranoside 2%
    6. GLYCYRRHIZA GLABRA Glabrene & Isoliquirtigenin 2%
    7. GLUCOSAMINE N-Acetyl glucosamine 2%
    8. GREEN TEA ISOLATE Epigallocatechin gallate 2%
    9. LEMON Citral & Myrcene 2%
    10. MATRICARIA CHAMOMILA Methyl ester 2%
    11. MSM Methylsulfone 2%
    12. NAGARMOTHA Cyperus rotunda 2%
    13. OLEA EUROPAEA Hydroxytyrosol 2%
    14. PANTETHEINE Pantetheine sulfonate 2%
    15. PEARL Superoxide dismutase 2%
    16. PEPPERGRASS Lepidium apetalum 2%
    17. RESVERATROL cis-Resveratrol 2%
    18. SANDALWOOD Santanum alba 2%
    19. SUNSCREEN SPF 15 Titanium dioxide 2%
    20. TURMERIC Curcumin-bis-a-D-glucoside 2%
    21. VITAMIN A All-trans retinaldehyde 2%
    22. VITAMIN B3 Niacinamide 2%
    23. VITAMIN C Tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate 2%
    24. VITAMIN E Tocopherol acetate 2%
    25. YELLOW DOCK Rumex crispa 2%
    WATER WASHABLE CREAM BASE Q.S.

Like methyldihydroxybenzoate kick in as it is one of the few creams I can still afford, I was also recommended to use Fair & Lovely, but does anyone know, does Fair & Lovely contain mercury?
    I prefer a natural like a pearl based cream, I have just read good things about this active ingredient in pearl actually releases superoxidase ions that oxidise existing melanin:

"Studies in China have proven that pearl powder enhances the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD), the antioxidant enzyme which decelerates melanin production and helps reduce pigmentation, freckles, dark spots and brown blotchy patches. Pearl also contains natural sunscreens."

But it is only at 2% so instead of purchasing Herbalinn one might be better off purchasing pure pearl dust powder and mixing their own pearl lightening cream to their liking. Here is another cream, it is only $12 but from Malaysia:

Oriyen Pearl Cream (30g)

"For a vibrant, flawless complexion!

Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Cetearyl Glucoside, Micronized Titanium dioxide, 1,3- Butylene Glycol, Polydecene, Cyclomethicone and Dimethicone, Crospolymer, PPG-15 Stearyl Ether, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glyceryl Stearate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenoxyethanol, Isobutylparaben, Methyparaben, Ethylparaben, Pure Japanese Pearl Powder, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Xanthum Gum, Zinc Oxide, Disodium EDTA, Methyldibromoglutaronitrile-Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Aqua."
    ishq Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2009, 07:48 PM

"Studies in China have proven that pearl powder enhances the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD), the antioxidant enzyme which decelerates melanin production and helps reduce pigmentation, freckles, dark spots and brown blotchy patches. Pearl also contains natural sunscreens."

But it is only at 2% so instead of purchasing Herbalinn one might be better off purchasing pure pearl dust powder and mixing their own pearl lightening cream to their liking. Here is another cream, it is only $12 but from Malaysia:

Oriyen Pearl Cream (30g)

Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Cetearyl Glucoside, Micronized Titanium dioxide, 1,3- Butylene Glycol, Polydecene, Cyclomethicone and Dimethicone, Crospolymer, PPG-15 Stearyl Ether, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glyceryl Stearate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenoxyethanol, Isobutylparaben, Methyparaben, Ethylparaben, Pure Japanese Pearl Powder, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Xanthum Gum, Zinc Oxide, Disodium EDTA, Methyldibromoglutaronitrile-Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Aqua."

Pearl is excellent! That's why I often used Naturally Fair and recommend

It! It costs usually less than 5 bucks! Nowadayz I just get pure crushed

Pearl powder and mix it myself, and even take some internally everyday!
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2009, 10:23 PM
    I remember earlier tis year, Herbal Inn had Undecylenoyl Phenylalanine listed as one of their ingredients at 2% concentration as well and I had printed out the ingredient list, but it was later removed from their ingredients. I wonder why it was removed or if it ever was actually one of the ingredients.

I would prefer more than something that gives the illusion of lighter skin due to titanium dioxide and pearl, good for mild sunblock. People are better off putting baby powder on their skin for the lightened illusion which is much cheaper (jokes).

About the Fair & Lovely, they state their was no traces of mercuryl, but scientific tests done on f&l proves otherwise. Perhaps it nolonger contains mercury as one of the lightening ingredients? I rather pass though.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/5042455847021241/
    "Mercury levels were measured in a total of 49 ovary tissue samples"

"The mercury content in the ovary tissues increased with number of cream applications and were highest in the ovaries of mice treated twice a day with Fair & Lovely (87.79 ± 26.20 ng/g) and once a day with Rose (3,515.61 ± 1,099.78 ng/g)"

"Our data indicate that dermal exposure to mercury can result in a significant accumulation in the ovaries of mice following the application of skin-lightening cream. This may cause alterations in reproductive behavior and contribute to infertility or ovarian failure."

Also:
    SSRN-Doing Well By Doing Good - Case Study: 'Fair & Lovely' Whitening Cream by Aneel Karnani

Dec 3, 2009, 06:16 PM

Yes I remember that ingredient also the first time I ordered from them 2 years ago around same time as I tried Fair Flawless, it was a bigger bottle a lotion now it was a smaller jar a cream and very different ingredients, seem like a total different product now.
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2009, 10:09 PM
    Yeah, their ingredients seems to be constantly changing. And one day it may cost around $100, next day is free, then the next day it's $9.99. All over the place too often, that was one of the reasons of why I hesitated to try it.

Didn't someone here order the free one, I wonder if it has been tried?

Dec 4, 2009, 12:20 AM
    Yes sweetcarolina says it got her paler but I am rubbing it in my face for 2 weeks now and I don't see lightening my skin just looks really red when will it get lighter I am running out of patience every morning I look forward to be lighter then I see the same color it has only lightened my blemishes, acne.
    ver0nica Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2012, 09:02 PM
    Thanks SC I did a lot of asking around of the veterans here and heard in depth about a member Trickshot trying to recreate the original herbalinn with its "shimmery whipped texture" and sending emails out to try to purchase owned domains such as herbalinn and lighterskin.com, but settling for whiterskin and calling the final product Meladerm.
    Regarding Vivite Vibrance Therapy, I have used that in the past but the little 1 ounce bottle finished before I ever saw results. What strikes me is herbalinn is the same color and consistency of the Vivite, but in a jar. Vivite costed $96 for that ounce of cream.

"Methyl dihydroxybenzoate is the latest ingredient from pharmaceutical powerhouse Allergan. Released in Vivit Vibrance Therapy ( $95.00, Amazon.com; MSRP $115.00), methyl dihydroxybenzoate reduces hyperpigmentation by interfering with the actual production of melanin (skin pigment). This is unique because current popular treatments kojic acid, arbutin and hydroquinone work by interfering with the activity of tyrosinase, the rate-limiting enzyme for the biosynthesis of melanin in epidermal melanocytes, according to Dr. Leslie Baumann’s text Cosmetic Dermatology. "

Funny you mentioned titanium and pearl, I did noticed in our Thanksgiving video I only saw today, I do look lighter but it is temporary, without the herbalinn on I do not look that light, I seem to look redder than before when I wash it off or after a shower. I hope some of its peculiar other claimed ingredients:
    HugeDomains.com - HerbalInn.com is for Sale (Herbal Inn)

1. ALOE VERA Octylaloesin 2%
    2. ALPHA ARBUTIN Hydroxyphenyl-a-D-glucopyranoside 2%
    3. ALPHA RESORCYLIC ACID Methyl dihydroxybenzoate 2%
    4. ARTOCARPUS INCISUS Prenyloxyresveratrol 2%
    5. BENZYL ARBUTIN Benzyl-a-D-glucopyranoside 2%
    6. GLYCYRRHIZA GLABRA Glabrene & Isoliquirtigenin 2%
    7. GLUCOSAMINE N-Acetyl glucosamine 2%
    8. GREEN TEA ISOLATE Epigallocatechin gallate 2%
    9. LEMON Citral & Myrcene 2%
    10. MATRICARIA CHAMOMILA Methyl ester 2%
    11. MSM Methylsulfone 2%
    12. NAGARMOTHA Cyperus rotunda 2%
    13. OLEA EUROPAEA Hydroxytyrosol 2%
    14. PANTETHEINE Pantetheine sulfonate 2%
    15. PEARL Superoxide dismutase 2%
    16. PEPPERGRASS Lepidium apetalum 2%
    17. RESVERATROL cis-Resveratrol 2%
    18. SANDALWOOD Santanum alba 2%
    20. TURMERIC Curcumin-bis-a-D-glucoside 2%
    21. VITAMIN A All-trans retinaldehyde 2%
    22. VITAMIN B3 Niacinamide 2%
    23. VITAMIN C Tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate 2%
    24. VITAMIN E Tocopherol acetate 2%
    25. YELLOW DOCK Rumex crispa 2%
    WATER WASHABLE CREAM BASE Q.S.

Like methyldihydroxybenzoate kick in as it is one of the few creams I can still afford, I was also recommended to use Fair & Lovely, but does anyone know, does Fair & Lovely contain mercury?
    I prefer a natural like a pearl based cream, I have just read good things about this active ingredient in pearl actually releases superoxidase ions that oxidise existing melanin:

Oriyen Pearl Cream (30g)

Their website's not working anymore?

I wish I could reorder this from somewhere else, or has anyone recreated their product using all those ingredients. Let me know, I'll get it if it has most or all the original ingredients.
    michaeljr Posts: 89, Reputation: 3

Aug 6, 2012, 09:36 PM
    That's long gone I think like 2 or more years ago? I forgot about the ingredients being online and saved, I think I will try some of these ingredients and use Amlactin as the base.

But, there are so many. Wonder which one are the most effective for actually lightening?

Aug 6, 2012, 09:41 PM
    Why Amlacthin as a base, doesn't it lighten well? Never heard of it. There are a couple of these ingredient I already have at home, but like the other 23 do I have to order them separately and deal with all different shipment fees each? Or do you know of any place I can order most of these shipped together, please let me know.
    michaeljr Posts: 89, Reputation: 3

Aug 6, 2012, 10:12 PM
    It's a medium strength gentle exfoliant on normal skin. Would bright not lighten, alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8stuff View Post
    According to reports from Allergan, results with Vivit Vibrance Therapy are similar to those from using a 4 percent hydroquinone solution (the highest concentration of hydroquinone available without a prescription). In a company-sponsored eight-week study, two sets of women put Vibrance Therapy on one side of their faces and 4% hydroquinone on the other. In one group, effects with Vivit Vibrance Therapy actually surpassed those of 4% hydroquinone, with 70 percent reduction in hyperpigmentation versus hydroquinone's 63 percent; in the other group, there was a 62 percent reduction for both. Source: Exciting New Ingredient: Methyl Dihydroxybenzoate - Wellsphere

So, now I'm wondering if that was the reason Herbalinn was giving the product away for free for a while...hmmm...

Forgot to ask, did they ever get it tested?

Aug 6, 2012, 10:42 PM
    Oh thanks. Not that I know off. Maybe they should tested it for mono, you never know. Although I don't recall anyone reported it darken them or cause white spot? Just almost everyone complaining either it doesn't work or a couple who claimed it made them pasty, I think? On the brighterskin board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

List Of Products W/ Mercury And Steroids [ 12 Answers ]

Hey Guys, I found a list of products on a website that mentions many of the products with steroids and/or mercury in them. The site also mentions the Hq products, for those who wants to stay clear from Hq: Magenta"]Soaps Containing Mercury and its Compounds:MOVATE MEKAKO JARIBU TURA ACURA...

Has anyone tried Herbalinn? [ 8 Answers ]

How well does it work for you? I've heard good things about it, and it's said to be like the "holy grail of skin whiteners". Please tell me of your results that you got from using it. Thanks.

Getting too dark with Herbalinn! [ 6 Answers ]

Herbalinn truly sucks! It does not work.. and lord knows what product it is! People who have used herbalinn undergo painful cycles of reddening and when the skin burns and peels out , guess what? You end up the very same colour you started at! How interesting ! People buying this...

Is Herbalinn.com a Scam? [ 20 Answers ]

I want to try out the benzylarbutin stuff, but apparently it's only available at herbalinn.com.... I tried to e-mail them a couple of times, but no replies at all!. is that site a scam????... will you actually get the product if you order it? And if so how effective is their cream?? I'm so...

View more questions Search