Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccbg83 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Wiring Hunter fan with light kit
    I am trying to install a Hunter fan with light kit. There was previously a fan in the location, but I failed to make notes of the wiring. The fan has 4 wires: white, black, white with black stripe, and a ground wire. The ceiling has 4 wires: green, black, white and red. Please advise as to which wires from fan are connected to which wires from ceiling. I have a single switch.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 04:58 PM

So there once was a single fan and you will now replace it with a fan/light, right? That red in the ceiling leads me to think there is a second switch somewhere controlling that old fan, plesae confirm

Nov 23, 2009, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    So there once was a single fan and you will now replace it with a fan/light, right? That red in the ceiling leads me to think there is a second switch somewhere controling that old fan, plesae confirm
    There was a ceiling fan with light with remote control there before. I actually have it working now. I connected white to white, and white with black and black from fan to black from ceiling together. The red is capped off. Sound OK to you? It's all woking.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 05:37 PM

Does switch turn light on and off? Does fan work when switch is in off position?

Nov 23, 2009, 06:45 PM
    Actually, no, the fan does not work when the light switch is off. The switch has to be on for the fan to be operational.

Nov 23, 2009, 06:46 PM
    By the way, the switch does operate the light as well.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 06:58 PM

Connect black of fan to red of house wiring. Pull chain will control fan.

Nov 23, 2009, 07:20 PM
    Thanks so much!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2009, 09:18 PM

Did you get it working to your satisfaction?

Ceiling Fan Wiring, Ceiling Fan Wiring Technical Help, Do it Yourself (DIY) - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter ceiling fan with light fixture wiring diagram [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Hunter ceiling fan, model 25466 with a light kit. While wiring the light fixture some of the wires were pulled loose. I need to find out what wires go with which ones to fix it. Going into the fan are three wires, one black, one white, and one black and white striped. On the bottom of the...

Help with wiring a HUNTER Ceiling Fan and Light Control [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently replacing a light switch with a ceiling fan and light control. The description of what I am replacing with is: http://www.littmanbros.com/pd_hunter_27182.cfm I currently have a ceiling fan with a light kit (and it too high off the ground to have the fan controlled by a pull...

Hunter ceiling fan / light w/remote wiring [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Hunter ceiling 3 speed fan with light that uses a remote control. The fixture was removed for ceiling painting and now I can not get it wired correctly. From the fixture there are 4 colored wires that match the 4 colored wires for the relay box inside the canopy. Also from the fixture is a...

Wiring a bathroom fan/light and new switch [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new bathroom fan/light and switch in place of the old ones. They work okay but they're not very eye-appealing. I have the new parts and I figured, the new setup would be the same as the old. By the way, the old switch controlled the fan and light separately. I want the new switch...

Wiring a Hunter ceiling fan with light [ 3 Answers ]

I am having trouble wiring a Hunter ceiling fan with light. In the ceiling, I have a black, white, bronze and red. In the fan I have two greens, white, black and a black/grey wire. Which go with which? Thanks. K

View more questions Search