Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MD Realtor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 02:57 PM
    Mr Yet - Do I settle or go to court?
    Chase Bank NA is suing me for a credit card balance. The evidence they have presented the Court is one monthly statement and an affidavit from Chase.

I never answered interrogetories or requested them. However I did file a motion to defend. Chase filed a motion for judgement due to my not responding to interrogetories and it was denied.

Alleged balance owed $14,000. Chase will settle for $8,000. I have a Merit Trial in 2 weeks. I'm considering going to court to defend my case. First of all, see if Plaintiff even shows. Second - challenge validity of contract.

Thoughts? Too risky? Can an affidavit judgement be issued at a Merit Trial?

Also - Is it too late to ask for debt validation from Chase?

Thanks much!
    MD Realtor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 02:58 PM

Mr. yet - Forgot to mention I am in Montgomery County, MD.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2009, 04:15 PM
    Go to the hearing and after the plaintiff present their case, demand to see the original contract, not a copy, If the judge happens to ask you if that s your signature on the alleged copy, simply state " I cannot admit or deny the alleged contract until the plaintiff produce the original contract to compare signatures. Don't let the judge buffalo you, if they don't have , say I Move to Dismiss with prejudice, whereas the plaintiff has fail to provide proof of the alleged debt.

Repeat as many times as necessary

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would you settle for less? [ 11 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I just want to know what everyone thinks of this. Everyone has an image of their ideal mate with certain qualities, certain physical appearance. And personalities. I was wondering if someone else comes along and they are not that person you picture, would you settle for less than what...

Too late to settle debt after court? [ 3 Answers ]

I owe $5259.43 from a hospital bill 3 years ago. The collection agency took me to court and being the nervous wreck that I was just signed the papers stating that I would pay the total amount in monthly installments of $75.00. After talking with a few people they said I should have settled for a...

Filed INtent To Defend, Now CC company wants to settle Out of court [ 1 Answers ]

First of all thank you to all who advised me on how to help my parents. I filed the Intent to Defend with the Court and also asked for a hearing and for the Credit Card company to provide the court and myself with proof of the original signed contract. My parents got 2 letters today, one from...

Settle for myself [ 1 Answers ]

I recently was in a car accident with my 11 year old daughter with me. A young lady on a cell phone took a curve at 60 and my truck stopped her. I received whiplash, swelling and bruising to my leg, and have problems using my right hand and need to go to physical therapy. The pain and suffering...

View more questions Search