Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mthof2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 01:04 PM
    Child custody
    My ex-husband has moved out of the state. We share joint custody of our 2 children. I have filed a custody modification through the court but have not heard anything yet. I was wondering if he can keep the children in another state. He is taking them for the holidays for 5 days. The children resied with me and go to school here where I am. What can I do if he decides he os going to keep them?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2009, 01:18 PM

If he decides he is going to keep them you go to court and have him charged with contempt of court and thrown in jail. He doesn't just get to decide to take them away.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2009, 02:19 PM

In your current custody papers - does it specify that the children reside with you, although you have joint custody? That your home is their primary residence?
    mthof2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat View Post
    In your current custody papers - does it specify that the children reside with you, although you have joint custody? That your home is their primary residence?

Yes it does say that they reside here and this is there primary home. I am still in the 30 day waiting period to see if he is going to contest this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2009, 02:42 PM

Since it was HIS choice to move, he's on shaky ground. He can request a modification of the visitation schedule, but it has to be filed in the same court that issued the original order.

If he does it right, there is a good chance he will get a modification that allows the children to spend part of the summer and alternate holidays or something like that. If he doesn't return the children he's in contempt of court and any attempts he makes to get changes will be viewed skeptically by the court.

What is the current visitation schedule?
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2009, 02:48 PM

Then I would think that he could not just keep the kids because he wants to. As it has been said, he would be in contempt of court.

Has he given you any indication that he was planning on keeping the kids?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 02:50 PM
    Then I would think that he could not just keep the kids because he wants to. As it has been said, he would be in contempt of court.

Has he given you any indication that he was planning on keeping the kids?
    If there are no current orders it may not be contempt of court. We are still waiting for the OP to come back and confirm that.
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mthof2 View Post
    yes it does say that they reside here and this is there primary home. I am still in the 30 day waiting period to see if he is going to contest this.

Is this not confirmation that the current custody papers say that the children do reside with their mother and that her home is the primary residence?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Is this not confirmation that the current custody papers say that the children do reside with their mother and that her home is the primary residence?
    No its not. I believe those to be the papers currently filed and awaiting action. That's what we need to find out. At what stage is all the proceedings.

Hopefully the op comes back soon and answers a few things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the father of my unborn child get 50% custody if I want primary custody? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 4 months pregnant and the father of the child and I are no longer together. For personal reasons I want to give the child my last name, not his. He says he can CHANGE the baby's last name once a paternity test is done. Is that correct? Also, I want primary custody and would agree to give him...

Do I need to file the child custody for getting my child support? [ 1 Answers ]

I've been lived with my EX for 4 yrs. We have a 6-year-old son. We had broken 3 years ago. But we are still living together, because we bought a house together. And we are taking care of my child together also . Now I want he give me a full child custody, he denied it. And his mother, my child...

Can father of my unborn child receive custody or visitation rights after child is bor [ 5 Answers ]

I am pregnant and the babies father is going after custody or visitation when the child is born. He is very abusive and does have a violent record from the past. He is been making many threats towards me and my unborn child. He has even stated that once he has the child in his hands he stated that...

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

I want to give custody of my unborn child to the father before the child is born [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and wish to give custody to the father before the child is born

View more questions Search