Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baileyys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 06:25 PM
    Altitude with just premieter?
    How do you find the length of the altitude when they only give you the premiter?

Ex: preimeter of the equilateral triangle is 36, what's the altitude?
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 06:35 PM

Do you mean Perimeter?
    If I'm not mistaken, the altitude is the height.

See if this site helps.
    Mathwords: Altitude of a Triangle
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2009, 12:00 AM

Just in case you don't know, an equilateral has its three sides of the same length. That means that each side is 6 from your example.

Now, draw the triangle on a piece of paper. The base is 6 and the altitude is the length from the base to the highest point of the triangle. A vertical line can be drawn to represent the altitude. This line starts from the base up to the highest point.

Now, you need to use the Pythagoras' Theorem to find that altitude, using one slant side and the base. You'll notice that you have to take half the length of the base to find the altitude.

If you need something, ask because I cannot know what you don't know. :)
    mathwiz3502 Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 06:25 AM

Draw unknown008's diagram of an equilateral triangle with 12 on every side and draw a line from the top to the bottom (altitude).
    You should realize that this is 2 right triangles that are similar and congruent.
    Now since the line is vertical and starts at the top of an equilateral triangle it divide the bottom in to 6 units each
    Now simply use the Pythagoream Theorum
    a^2+b^2*=c^2
    *b is the altitude and a is a 6 and obviously the diagonal is 12 so
    6^2+b^2=12^2
    36+b^2=144
    b^2=108
    b=sqrt of 108 which is around 10.4

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Length of an altitude [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I have a huge project due tomorrow so I need help ASAP!! The questions is- give points P(2, -2), Q(14, 1) and R(6, -6) determine the length of the altitude. I altitude is from point P and I don't get how to find it HELP ME PLEASE ASAP!!! Thanks M

Altitude and stroke [ 2 Answers ]

My name is dave and I'm 46 years old . I suffered a stroke a year and a half ago and also had further complication such as a loss of feeling in my stroke hand and enormous fatigue after a plane flight to fro to Florida. I think because of the altitude and my preexisting condition (stroke )this...

Stoke and altitude [ 12 Answers ]

Is there any danger with flying on a jet plane at high altitudes for a duration not to exceed thirty-six hours with a stroke as a pre-existing condition that occurred one year, four months prior?

Altitude and Stroke or TIA risk [ 0 Answers ]

?? Is there a danger for someone who has had a TIA (mini-stroke) in the past to be at altitudes of 6,000 to 9,000 ft.

View more questions Search