Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rabbo05 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Lower tooth molar extraction
    It has been 7 days now... and the tooth hole that was extracted seems getting smaller and filling with healing tissue. I still feel mild pain here and there when I rinse with salt water is this normal?

Also, if any bone or root tip fragments were left in the hole do they create future problems or they work themselves out let me know

Nov 22, 2009, 04:13 PM
    How long?
    I had my tooth extracted 7 days ago.. it was a lower molar... I feel some tightness in my jaw area is this normal since my hole is healing? I have no severe pain or anything just kind of tight .

Will this eventually go away let me know? Also how many times do I rinse with salt water to keep it clean?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2009, 04:23 PM

Your extraction sounds normal. Anytime I've had teeth extracted it would take about 2 weeks before my mouth even felt normal again. It does take some time for the gums to heal up and close up completely. It may take a month before the hole actually closes up.

As for the pieces left inside the hole - if that was the case the hole would hurt like heck. You definitely would know it. The pieces do not just work their way out.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2009, 05:35 AM
    As twinkiedooter said, things sound normal. Keep yourself from poking around in the socket and gently rinse with warm salt water for a little longer. As for bone chips, yes, they can work themselves to the surface and sometimes come loose. Root tips (I hope there aren't any! Did the dentist show you the tooth to assure you the WHOLE tooth was removed?) normally have to be removed surgically.
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2009, 05:40 AM
    Rabbo,
    Rinse a few times a day with warm salt water. The tightness could be from the injection or from holding your mouth open wide during the extraction. You could try some Advil to see if it helps.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2009, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    As twinkiedooter said, things sound normal. Keep yourself from poking around in the socket and gently rinse with warm salt water for a little longer. As for bone chips, yes, they can work themselves to the surface and sometimes come loose. Root tips (I hope there aren't any! Did the dentist show you the tooth to assure you the WHOLE tooth was removed?) normally have to be removed surgically.
    Whenever I had any teeth taken out I'd always take the tooth home with me and put into a box for the Tooth Fairy. Yes, I had more teeth in the box (or so it seemed) than in my mouth after awhile. BTW extracted teeth are considered a biohazard and I had to fight my dentist to give me my own tooth back. He wanted to keep it to dispose of it properly.
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2009, 10:04 AM
    Hey twinkie,
    What's the going rate from the tooth fairy these days??

Yes, extracted teeth ARE a biohazard. Did they recommend you soak it in bleach when you got home?

Nov 25, 2009, 11:20 AM
    Lower tooth extraction
    It has been 9 days since lower tooth extracted... I am clindamycin 150mg bid... and I noticed my right tonsil is bigger than the left.. I have no major pain or no fever at all.. and sometimes my right ear aches on and off. Is this an infection or just my gums and muscles adjusting to the healing process... all answers appreciated!
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Nov 25, 2009, 05:38 PM

9 days is usually in the clear for infection or dry socket. I would just wait, you should be fine.

Nov 25, 2009, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir1981 View Post
    9 days is usually in the clear for infection or dry socket. I would just wait, you should be fine.
    But what is this tonsil thing? When would the gums close in 2 weeks I heard? So I can eat on both sides?

What is your email so I can email you questions.

Nov 25, 2009, 07:33 PM

Infection brings pain, swelling, and fever... if you don't have that don't worry... eat whatever you want as long as it does not irritate the extraction site (ie spicy, sharp foods) Stop worrying so much

Nov 25, 2009, 09:30 PM

What is your email sh? I want to ask you some questions
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Keep the surgical site clean. Don't poke and prod with your fingers and rinse with warm salt water after eating to be sure there are no food particles in the socket.
    The tonsil thing could just be coincidence. There is a lot of flu going around.

Nov 26, 2009, 06:18 PM

Why can't you ask me on here? I don't give out my email to random people

Nov 28, 2009, 09:10 PM

Can u get dry socket 11 days after tooth extraction?? Let me know

Nov 28, 2009, 09:11 PM
    I am in the healing process.. can u get dry socket after 10 days tooth extraction
    Can u get dry socket after 10 days tooth extraction

Nov 28, 2009, 09:24 PM

I was rinising and food was stuck in my tooth extraction site... I am healing from bottom up I can't get a dry socket after day 10 right.. I should be fine.. any answers please thanks
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2009, 09:41 PM

I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure.

Nov 28, 2009, 09:57 PM

I think granulation tissue washed out after 11 days would I get dry socket or not? Hope not... I see a hole but it heals from the bottom up and when will I feel the pain if I knew I would get dry socket

Nov 28, 2009, 10:27 PM
    Dry socket
    I am so worried about this dry socket thing... I took my lower molar out 12 days ago.. and the gums are closing up and healing from the bottom up fine... just yesterday there was food stuck and I was rinisng and it came out with the white stufff I am so worried.. would evenutally white stuff come back and form or it was just the time for the granulation tissue to fall out on its own.. because I heard it does come out on its own.. but wasn't sure.. I won't get dry socket correct after this time frame... hope not!! All answers greatly appreciated!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth Extraction [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My middle molar (used for chewing) broke of from the side, and I went to see the dentist who informed me that the tooth was dead and under the gum infected, so I have to take the tooth out inorder to prevent the infection from spreading to the other molar (the last one at the back). But my...

Massive infection under jaw after 3rd molar extraction [ 2 Answers ]

I had my wisdom theet (3) removed about 6 days ago. I knew right after the surgery that one lower one must have made problems since it hurt by far more than the other two extraction sites. I had a little swelling and some pain but about on the 2nd to 3rd day my jawbone (under side), throat and neck...

Tooth extraction [ 3 Answers ]

A little over three years ago when I was prgnant with my daughter one of my fillings came out and I never had it fixed, over the past two months it has got much worse and now I can't bear the pain, I made a trip to the dentist today to see if they could pull it and he said that the x ray showed a...

Extraction of tooth [ 5 Answers ]

I am told that my tooth is 70% bad but it is strong. Is it necessary to extract now or I can wait till tooth is little bit loose or shakey? Please answer

Tooth Extraction in a 3 Yr Old [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, my son's front tooth is kind of loosen (or least when I wiggle it). He does not complain of any pain, but the tooth is getting darker (like a brownish color). We have an Dentist Appt. already made, but my concern is will the Dentist want to extract the tooth?

View more questions Search